Calcium reactor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to especially hear about the design using the water filter housings from Home Depot. There was a lot of talk about that a while ago, and then nothing.

------------------
Larry M

Visit Reef Central's Home Site at:
www.reefcentral.com

I'm working on a diy Calcium reactor using a couple of old Canister filters I found for sale used at a LFS. I'll I needed to do was add the PVC for the recirculation and the needle valve,bubble counter and I'm good to go. The only thing left to buy is a regulator and C02 tank, Got a pic at my web site of what they looked like when I bought them. I'll have more pictures as I begin assembly

------------------
Teach what you have known for years as if you learned it yesterday,
Teach what you learned yesterday as if you have known it all you life.

www.magicnet.net/~jwhite/aquamans.html

Thanks, Aquaman

I will check out your site
smile.gif
I have 3 canister filters I am not using. They came with the used 180 when I bought it.

Larry, if you want, I can send the canister filters up with HCS when he visits you. You can play around with them if you want
smile.gif

Brian

Hi guys,
DreamReefer and I - (I'm Bubbles from the other page but changed my name cause no one took me seriously
wink.gif
) used the Omni Filter cannister available for around $18 from HD. Works good. Mine's been working for a couple months now and my alk/ca levels are steady - it's great, no more ca/alk additives! I haven't heard how DreamReefer's works.

All you have to do is drill a hole in the bottom of the cannister and mount a hose-barb fitting for the recirculation input. There are already NPT threaded fittings in the top cap for the input/circulation loop.

My design takes advantage of the high pressure side of the loop for output, and the low/pressure side for input such that it only requires a single recirculating pump.

I have a real rough plumbing diagram that I did in VISIO - can paste into WORD that shows the plumbing if interested.

Tom

Sounds great Tom!

I would love to see your plans.

TIA

Brian

Brian--Thanks, but I have canister filters lying around too. I was referring to the housings that Tom is talking about. Yes, I would like to see the plans too, and maybe a picture of the project if you have one.

------------------
Larry M

www.reefcentral.com

Tom,

The diagram you emailed looks great
smile.gif

I assume the most costly items to buy are the co2 tank and regulator. Any thoughts on this? What is the best price you found ?

TIA

Brian

Yes, I was fortunate enough to already have a 20lb CO2 tank laying around - you can get a full one for about $75 at a welding supply place (the smaller ones look nicer but cost about the same price). I got the regulator at a home brewing supply place for $35.

I finally ended up with a gas stove valve for my metering valve - but I'm not sure I'm happy with that yet, cause it's too touchy.

Thanks a lot Tom, very nice drawing. I am going to try one of these for my 40 gallon. Speaking of needle valves, I got the new Pet Warehouse catalog yesterday, and they have a lot of calc reactor stuff now. A needle valve caught my attention, it was about $25. Has anyone used this particular valve? I need a replacement for the one on my 65.

------------------
Larry M

www.reefcentral.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back