Camera question.

bangai64

Hey guys... Need to figure out a way to take better pictures of corals in the tank. iPhone just doesn't cut it. Everything gets washed out. Especially under actinics. Need a camera to show what I actually see. Color wise that is. Good detail would be nice too. Any suggestions. I have no knowledge in this area at all, so any help would be appreciated. Not looking to spend a small fortune ether. Also user friendly would be nice.

IPhone pics aren't that bad with an orange gel filter. Hard part is getting it to focus sometimes.

On a camera you would either have to adjust the settings on camera or take the picture in RAW and adjust it on the PC to what you see.

IPhone pics aren't that bad with an orange gel filter. Hard part is getting it to focus sometimes.

On a camera you would either have to adjust the settings on camera or take the picture in RAW and adjust it on the PC to what you see.

Even with a camera/dslr you're better off still using a gel, unless you increase your whites while taking photos. DSLR can adjust up to 14K color temp, so there is a range where it will still look blue.

If you still wish to get a standard camera I can make a few recommendations if you put out a budget.

Any camera that allows you to set the white balance will work. The "issue" with these pictures is normal camera's where never expected to try to capture pictures with this amount of blue.
So if you can adjust white balance you basically put something "white" in the tank a few inches from the glass, anything waterproof works, I used a plastic lid that was white. then you take your camera and basically say "this is white" with whatever is in the tank at full frame. Now that the camera understands what the new "white" is all the other colors will be accurate.
I suck at pictures, i used my dads camera to prove I could take a good picture if I had too, it all worked very well once you set the white balance.

I have used my iphone but also use a DSLR. If your wanting to get some amazing shots I would recommend a DSLR with a macro lens. Depending on which camera you get you can use a orange filter or you can adjust the white balance. I will post some photos up later.

I have used my iphone but also use a DSLR. If your wanting to get some amazing shots I would recommend a DSLR with a macro lens. Depending on which camera you get you can use a orange filter or you can adjust the white balance. I will post some photos up later.

+1 but it takes forever to take the pictures. U need a dslr, macro lens, tripod. I also like the remote to take the pic to eliminate camera shake. I have all this but don't use much cause I don't have the time. If u go with the Nikon I have an extra macro lens I can sell or u can just use.

U also need to take the pic straight through the glass not on any angle at all.

Roger

[/QUOTE]U also need to take the pic straight through the glass not on any angle at all.[/QUOTE]

Or get a photo tub like I did to put it in the water!!

U also need to take the pic straight through the glass not on any angle at all.[/QUOTE]

Or get a photo tub like I did to put it in the water!![/QUOTE]

Yes for top down I have one of them too but very hard to hold. I like shooting on a tripod

Really depends on your definition of what a "small fortune" is. You won't find any option under $300 that will do the trick.

a. Get a DSLR. Used is fine. With a DSLR you can adjust white balance very easily with JPEGs. DSLRs take a little learning to develop your skills, but once you do, you can shoot anything. The quality can/should be the best with this option. A decent used can be found for under $400. You can also test the waters on DSLRs by renting them to see if you think it's something you like or not.

b. Get a point and shoot camera. Several come with built in macro capability (for zooming in close) and some even have RAW. Any decent one will have the ability to adjust your white balance. Some of these even have the same chips as their DSLR brothers, just built in lenses with some zoom You can get a decent one from $250-600. The quality should be sufficient and there's not lot you have to learn about photography to use them. Point and shoots can usually take good, high def video at a higher frame rate than most DSLRs.

I have both and use them for diff situations (good glass on a DSLR is heavy). Both have their sweet spots and once you learn how to use either one, they'll both blow away any phone pic. Take a few if you haven't already and browse the photogrpahy section the special interest group forum on this site, this same question has been asked many times over.

Thanks for the motivation

Thanks for the motivation

Alright, you made me break out the old rebel. Now I just need to figure out how to use the darn thing. So the clowns just laid a new clutch and they happened to be some of my better shots. So here they are.
Interestingly this I got the rbta from ReefPilot quite some time ago. I am finally making good on posting some photos of said nem with some happy clowns.

Canon Rebel xti & 70-300 tamron
Obviously there is much room for improvement but any constructive input is always appreciated.

Sadly these few are the only ones I feel comfortable posting. The other colorful stick subject photos are coming out absolutely terrible.

Back