Can 1" Quartz Countertop support 3 inch tank overhang past stand on both sides????

I have a 30 inch stand that I really like that is 19 inch deep. I have a 36 inch tank that is 36X19X14. I have an extra piece of 1" quartz counter top that I'd like to put on top of the stand to support the extra 3 inches of tank on each side of the stand.

Do you think 1 inch quartz countertop is strong enough to support the 3 extra inches past the stand on both sides?

Thank you! Doug

The limiting factor in such a case would be the strength of the glass, not the quartz. I think it would certainly hold up, but the risk is the exposed tank edges. If you hit it with a vacuum or anything solid, it may cause a catastrophic failure of the glass

If I were doing this, I would think about havong the large piece cut down the middle and put the piece in the middle. I wouldn't like the six inch piece on an end. If you can take the top to someone, have them cut it down the middle, and have them glue it back together.

If I were doing this, I would think about havong the large piece cut down the middle and put the piece in the middle. I wouldn't like the six inch piece on an end. If you can take the top to someone, have them cut it down the middle, and have them glue it back together.

The quartz top will be cut to 38" x 20" so there will be an extra one inch of quartz extending past the tank. My question or concern was about if the quartz is strong enough to support the tank 3 inches on each side of the tank that extend past the stand.

Some google searches show the flexural strength of quartz countertop to be 4500 - 7000 psi. I think you are safe. As a comparison the flexural strength of concrete is 650 psi.

Some google searches show the flexural strength of quartz countertop to be 4500 - 7000 psi. I think you are safe. As a comparison the flexural strength of concrete is 650 psi.

Someone talking about quartz under a tank in another post said quartz has very low "tensile structural strength." Does this matter?

My understanding is that tensile strength is the ability to resist being pulled appart but not bent.

Back