Can anemones get Brown Jelly Disease?

reefing102

Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori
Premium Member
So yea, my torch got Brown Jelly Disease earlier last week, and I was a bad reefer and didn’t get it removed. Now my otherwise healthy black widow anemone wasn’t looking great yesterday, and as of today has officially melted. All of my other corals look great. My rainbow BTA is fine, tube anemones and Curley Que anemone are fine.

Only issue was a slight salinity spike as my ATO had to be reset and wasn’t topping off (took about 2 gallons of top off to level off)

Black Widow was bought mid-February and was actively growing until deflating yesterday and melting away today.

Params are as follows:

PH: 8.33
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 30
Phos: .03
MG: 1440
CA: 430
Alk: 8.8
SG: now at 1.027 was up to 1.030.

Salifert test kits.

65 gallon tank

So unless it was super sensitive to a slight SG spike, the only other thing I can think of is BJD. Thoughts?

I've never heard of that happening, AquaBiomics had suggested that BJD was caused by an Acrobacter bacteria and successfully treated it with Ciprofloxacin. I suppose if that bacteria could also affect your nems, you would have your answer but how would you test? Anyway, we should assume it's something else to make sure you don't have more casualties. How did you get to 1.030 and how long was it there? What are you using to measure S.G. and have you checked calibration?

I assume you have a few fish to get to 30 nitrate. Is it always that high?

I have 2 clowns, a yellow coris wrasse, a neon dottyback, and yellow watchman, along with 3-5 pistol shrimp (not sure exactly how many), various hermits, pencil urchin, trochus snails and tons of asternia. I feed heavily (pellets daily and frozen every 3 days or so). And my nitrates hover around 20-30 regularly.

As for SG, that’s after 4-5 days of evaporation. Measured with a hydrometer (I do have a refractometer just no calibration fluid)

I have 2 clowns, a yellow coris wrasse, a neon dottyback, and yellow watchman, along with 3-5 pistol shrimp (not sure exactly how many), various hermits, pencil urchin, trochus snails and tons of asternia. I feed heavily (pellets daily and frozen every 3 days or so). And my nitrates hover around 20-30 regularly.

As for SG, that’s after 4-5 days of evaporation. Measured with a hydrometer (I do have a refractometer just no calibration fluid)

If that's your normal nitrates then it's not a problem. The S.G. swing could be a problem. On a side note I have always calibrated my refractometer with DI water. Calibration fluid for refractometers is just another cash grab IMO. If it's an accurate instrument, why would it matter what known value you calibrate it to? ( I know what the 'crowd' thinks, I just don't agree unless the refractometer is cheap junk and you want to help it by calibrating close to your assumed testing value).

Was the departed nem the newest addition?

The coris wrasse was the newest. But the Nem was the latest coral/invert addition. My only other thought was the nem was only about 1.5 inches (captive bred split), and the rock he was on is the nightly gathering place for my blue legs and maybe they just irritated him to death or cut the foot or something?

As for SG I’m hoping the ATO is corrected.

The coris wrasse was the newest. But the Nem was the latest coral/invert addition. My only other thought was the nem was only about 1.5 inches (captive bred split), and the rock he was on is the nightly gathering place for my blue legs and maybe they just irritated him to death or cut the foot or something?

As for SG I’m hoping the ATO is corrected.
Everything else still looking ok?

Everything else is still fine and thriving. I was told by the seller that since it smelled it likely had been dead a couple days and the nitrates shouldn’t have affected it too much as he keeps his around 20. We are pretty stumped on this one

Everything else is still fine and thriving. I was told by the seller that since it smelled it likely had been dead a couple days and the nitrates shouldn’t have affected it too much as he keeps his around 20. We are pretty stumped on this one
Yep things just go sideways sometimes. I have a plating monti that has been growing gangbusters for months and then just the other day started dying/turning white in the center. I moved it down thinking maybe a rogue led was nuking it but otherwise I'm at a loss at the moment.

Yep things just go sideways sometimes. I have a plating monti that has been growing gangbusters for months and then just the other day started dying/turning white in the center. I moved it down thinking maybe a rogue led was nuking it but otherwise I'm at a loss at the moment.
Hmm that’s odd. That part isn’t shadowed by a new plate is it? No new additions that may have introduced pests like monti eating nudis?

Hmm that’s odd. That part isn’t shadowed by a new plate is it? No new additions that may have introduced pests like monti eating nudis?
No, the monti was actually the last thing I added a couple months ago. The only recent changes I've made was switch out an actinic T5 and put in a blue+ and I moved an Mp10 a few inches over to get better chaos flow in the middle. I know the blue+ is about double the par of the actinic but it was only one bulb and everything else looks fine. I was blowing things off the other day with a turkey baster and I'm thinking I might have wacked it on top with the baster but things like that happen so fast, I can't be sure. I'm hoping it will halt turning white. It's maybe a 3/8" death circle at the moment but appears to be getting bigger. :(

I forgot I also switched from Seachem Reef Advantage Magnesium to Brightwell Hydrat-MG to see if it will kill some bryopsis that's hanging around.

Hmm couldn’t be sure on the dosing thing ( I don’t dose) but I’m not sure the blue + would’ve effected this that much (could be wrong)

Back