Can anyone tell me what this is on my Kenya tree? The black stringy thing?

missyreed2

Anyone help me figure out what this black stringy thing is on my Kenya tree.

Attachments

• IMG_1794.jpeg
    IMG_1794.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 25
It’s hard to get up close pictures through glass and water. I’m still having trouble.

But, if I had to guess I would say either:
1. something used to attach the coral to the frag plug (what that could be I don’t know.
2. Vermatid snail.

My guess is either a part of the string or tie used to secure the coral to the rock ( indicating the coral is likely aquacultured) or it’s an identification tag used by the importer/wholesaler

Thanks for your help. It looks kinda slimy and limp when I took it out of the tank. I wondered if it was something bad I needed to remove. Probably wouldn’t hurt. There is some piece in the other side that is silver that I figured was used to frag it.

Thanks for your help. It looks kinda slimy and limp when I took it out of the tank. I wondered if it was something bad I needed to remove. Probably wouldn’t hurt. There is some piece in the other side that is silver that I figured was used to frag it.
You can likely just use scissors to snip it off.

It’s hard to get up close pictures through glass and water. I’m still having trouble.

But, if I had to guess I would say either:
1. something used to attach the coral to the frag plug (what that could be I don’t know.
2. Vermatid snail.
I think you are correct in that it may be a vermatid snail. I removed it and it definitely was some type of pest. Thanks so much for your help.

I think you are correct in that it may be a vermatid snail. I removed it and it definitely was some type of pest. Thanks so much for your help.
If it comes back or more appear, I’ve been successful in eliminating them by squirting a bit of super glue gel into the end of the tube.

This may be a stupid question, but aside from the risk of injuring one’s self by brushing up against the shell/tube of vermatid snails, what dangers do they pose in our reef aquariums?

This may be a stupid question, but aside from the risk of injuring one’s self by brushing up against the shell/tube of vermatid snails, what dangers do they pose in our reef aquariums?
They send out a web to catch particulate food. This web can irritate corals and other sessile inverts. Additionally, they can grow to plague proportions in not kept in check. Plus, they're ugly :ROFLMAO:

Back