Can I reseal with silicone while fish are present?

Brieninsac

I've noticed a small pin sized hole about 1/2" from the top of my take (above the water line.) I have 100% silicon sealant to fill in the hole.

In reading the directions it says to remove fish and let dry for 48-hours. I could see that if you were doing a major reseal, but in my case it will be a tiny amount, maybe an inch.

I'd like to remove some water. do my repair and fill it back up after a short period of time. Does anyone have any experience of doing this and if the silicone would be fish safe for this type or repair?

I've noticed a small pin sized hole about 1/2" from the top of my take (above the water line.) I have 100% silicon sealant to fill in the hole.

In reading the directions it says to remove fish and let dry for 48-hours. I could see that if you were doing a major reseal, but in my case it will be a tiny amount, maybe an inch.

I'd like to remove some water. do my repair and fill it back up after a short period of time. Does anyone have any experience of doing this and if the silicone would be fish safe for this type or repair?
If you can absolutely avoid water contact and let it cure 24hrs or more, then sure if you are careful. Also silicone does not stick to silicone so your patch with need to be bigger to have some glass contact. 100% silicone is not a guarantee of suitability - some 100% silicones contain antifungals or are ammonia curing. You want silicone known to be aquarium safe -buy one of those overpriced little tubes and be sure of things.

The water level dropped about an inch after turning the pump off. I was able to thoroughly clean the repair spot and apply aquarium safe silicone over the hole and onto the glass a bit. I think it'll be fine. I dropped a heater and air stone into the take and will turn everything back on after 24 hours. Even when everything is on, the repair spot is still above the water line.

Back