Can I Test freshwater alkalinity with Hanna Marine Alkalinity Checker® HC - HI755?

enb141

I have an Hanna Checker® HC - HI755, I use that one to test my alkalinity on my saltwater tank but I would like to know if I can use it for testing freshwater alkalinity as well.

I know that hanna has one for freshwater but I would like to know why they have two different checkers for the same.

The actual checkers are probably the same. The test reagents are different. The refill for the marine is $9 and the one for the freshwater is $20, both do 25 tests.

The actual checkers are probably the same. The test reagents are different. The refill for the marine is $9 and the one for the freshwater is $20, both do 25 tests.

Do you have both?

Have you tested it with freshwater and viceversa?

Do you have both?

Have you tested it with freshwater and viceversa?

I don't have both. I have the saltwater one but still use my API test kit 99% of the time, just too convenient.

I'm really surprised no one has tried both reagents to see if the hardware is the same.

I don't have both. I have the saltwater one but still use my API test kit 99% of the time, just too convenient.

I'm really surprised no one has tried both reagents to see if the hardware is the same.

Have you tried your marine Hanna checker on fresh water and compare it against your api?

Have you tried your marine Hanna checker on fresh water and compare it against your api?

I don't have the ppm checker so I don't think it would work. I assume the marine ppm uses a different reagent than the dkh version but I could be wrong. They have different sku's so I assume they are different.

I don't have the ppm checker so I don't think it would work. I assume the marine ppm uses a different reagent than the dkh version but I could be wrong. They have different sku's so I assume they are different.

you can convert PPM to dkh, and viceversa.

again, have you tried to test it with freshwater, using the reagent that you already have?

you can convert PPM to dkh, and viceversa.

again, have you tried to test it with freshwater, using the reagent that you already have?

Pulled mine out tonight and I actually have the ppm checker. I guess I haven't used it since I initially bought it a few years ago. The reagent was all dried up. I did test my freshwater with my api kit and it was at 10, which is higher than my reef. Guess my tap water is really hard.

Pulled mine out tonight and I actually have the ppm checker. I guess I haven't used it since I initially bought it a few years ago. The reagent was all dried up. I did test my freshwater with my api kit and it was at 10, which is higher than my reef. Guess my tap water is really hard.

Maybe your reagent is just too old to be taken in count.

The API kit is new so the reading should be good. We have very hard water here. My freshwater tank looks like it has salt creep all around the edges.

I meant your Hanna reagent is too old to be tested with fresh water to see if both have about the same results.

Yes, it was all dried up. There was no way to get it out of the bottle.

If you can get somebody close to use to do one test, that would be cool, if not I think I'm gonna have to buy the api to test for myself and see if it is the same.

My marine hanna test kit expired on June 2019 but still has a decent accuracy for testing my marine tank.

Back