Can you give me some input on skimmer: Skimz, Vertex, Simplicity, IceCap or BM?

Kinetic

Hey All,

I've done a bunch of research on skimmers for my Red Sea Reefer 170. Nothing conclusive yet, so hoping a more focused thread might help.

My tank will probably be a heavily fed anemone/clownfish tank, with SPS.

Here are the options I've narrowed down to:
1. Skimz*SN143-QP
2. Vertex Omega 130
3. IceCap K2-120
4. Simplicity 120
5. Bubble Magus Curve 5
6. NYOS Quantum 120

Skimz
  • Some reported that it takes a lot of tweaking to setup
  • I haven't seen any Reefer 170 tanks use it
  • It's touchy and can overflow pretty easily
  • I just got a Skimz QuietPro 4.0 pump, and it looks kind of cheap... haven't put it in water yet though but makes me think twice about Skimz products

Vertex
  • Also heard the 130 is finicky to setup compared to a 150 and above
  • The 150 is reported to be much better but would be way too much for my tank

IceCap K2-120
  • Might be too much for my tank
  • The K2-50 I've heard does well in a Reefer 170, but it's pretty small and I hear it's easy to knock over and quality is far worse than K2-120

Simplicity 120
  • Seems to be used in Reefer 170s, except someone replaced it with an IceCap K2-50 because this was oversized and not pulling anything
  • Seems like a dumbed down Skimz copy, since it comes with a Skimz controller and a similar pump as the Skimz QuietPro

Bubble Magus Curve 5
  • My tank is all DC pumps at this point, and probably going to be super quiet. Quiet is relative to everyone, but I'm thinking the AC pump here will be louder than a DC
  • The DC version of this skimmer was said to be less "stable"
  • Very few people ever complain about this skimmer. set and forget

NYOS Quantum 120
  • This skimmer has been around for awhile
  • Pretty pricey, more than 2x the prices of my other options
  • Haven't seen many people say much about it other than it looks pretty

BM Curve 5 seems to be the most successful skimmer to use. And the noise is definitely subjective, and that's my only hesitation. I bet it's not loud at all, but if there's a comparable one that's even quieter, I'd like to be picky enough to go the quieter route.

If you guys have any experience with these, good or bad, let me know! The Reefer 170 will be about 40 gallons total volume.

"AquaMaxx WS-1 In-Sump Protein Skimmer" Sorry link did not work check out Marine Depot I believe that Solitude has one on his Red Sea 170.

"AquaMaxx WS-1 In-Sump Protein Skimmer" Sorry link did not work check out Marine Depot I believe that Solitude has one on his Red Sea 170.

thanks for the recommendation. I checked them out and it looks like most wish they had gone with a Simplicity, vertex, or NYOS instead... Not sure exactly why but there were enough people who said they wish they made a different choice that I decided not to include it.

Check out the somatic skimmers at BRS. It's a space saving vertex 130 (made by vertex) without a few of the features but still a sicce pump for $200 or less if having BRS points. I think it's the best value on the market for skimmers right now. The 130 line now comes with air flow valves to dial it in, but I have the somatic and it's been nothing but a beast. No real break in, just works.

Not sure why it's rated like it is, I think just to match the sumps they are selling. Spec wise it is exactly like the 130.

Check out the somatic skimmers at BRS. It's a space saving vertex 130 (made by vertex) without a few of the features but still a sicce pump for $200 or less if having BRS points. I think it's the best value on the market for skimmers right now. The 130 line now comes with air flow valves to dial it in, but I have the somatic and it's been nothing but a beast. No real break in, just works.

Not sure why it's rated like it is, I think just to match the sumps they are selling. Spec wise it is exactly like the 130.

Thanks for that!

Have you used Vertex before? The Vertex 130 would totally fit in my sump, so I don't really need the extra space per say. I only would care if it works better or not (and/or quieter).

I have had a vertex 180 and the somatic. Fantastic quality skimmers. The 130is a bit nicer than the somatic with threaded cup and body screws but is more money. If space and money isn't an issue then 130 it up. I think they also come with air restricters now too.

I have a friend with two 130's and he loves them. In fact all he runs is vertex now.

I have the K2-120 in my 65g +20g sump. Fits like a glove in the small area I have for it, pulls dark skim, is silent. Not much more to ask for, cleans up very well and the build quality was great. Sicce pinwheel pump as well.

I have had a vertex 180 and the somatic. Fantastic quality skimmers. The 130is a bit nicer than the somatic with threaded cup and body screws but is more money. If space and money isn't an issue then 130 it up. I think they also come with air restricters now too.

I have a friend with two 130's and he loves them. In fact all he runs is vertex now.

Thanks for all the info!

I have the K2-120 in my 65g +20g sump. Fits like a glove in the small area I have for it, pulls dark skim, is silent. Not much more to ask for, cleans up very well and the build quality was great. Sicce pinwheel pump as well.

That's great to know. My tank will have a lot less water volume. I'm thinking the K2-120 may be too oversized...

status?

status?

Just checking to see what you end up picking.
also how did everything come alone
im looking to setup a reefer 170 too

I ended up picking the Simplicity 120 DC. I don't think it's a great solution for the Reefer 170 sump unfortunately. In order to get the water level high enough, the wedge pipe needs to be almost 100% closed, which causes the pump to be extremely loud. I can only achieve wet skim, getting darker skim is impossible because I can't get the water level high enough.

The skimmer itself is beautifully made and full featured. The DC pump is quiet when it doesn't have any load or air, but as soon as you push air through it and the wedge pipe is closed, it's over 62 decibels.

I'm doing a water change today and going to fill up a bucket and place the Simplicity skimmer in there to see if a higher water level will make it run quietly. If that's the case, then I'll need to find a different solution.

It's not bad, just don't think it can operate optimally at the water level the red sea reefer 170 sump is designed for. I don't want to increase the water height of the sump (it'll defeat the purpose of the bubble trap if I did), so new skimmer will have to be found!

I'll put my updates here soon on the sound. I'll also probably pick up a NYOS Quantum 120 to try next if I decide to swap out the Simplicity.

I'm curious what negative things people had to say about the WS-1. It fits perfectly in the REEFER sump with room to spare. I used one on my Nano for about six months and it pulled out some thick stinky effluent. The problem was that it wasn't sized properly for my LPS biotope. It was too much skimmer so it would only sporadically produce after the tanks run in phase. It would be perfect on a 170.

OK, Simplicity is pretty good, but I'm going to be picky here and try the NYOS Quantum 120. It's coming on Monday and I'll run them side by side and compare.

It could very well be that skimmers are loud, and I'm just being ridiculous trying to get the quietest system I can.

looking for the same thing as you i want it to be as quietest as possible and also getting the job done. please let me know how well it runs (NYOS Quantum 120) in the mean time let me cancel the order for the Simplicity 120dc

by the way is there any other change you would like to make for you setup ?

I've had a few people suggest that the NYOS Quantum is about the same sound level... so maybe I'm just asking for too much =) I'll be a guinea pig and do the test on Monday when the NYOS gets in. As you saw on my other thread, I'm going to try to sell the Simplicity. On the off chance that it's the same sound, I'll probably just keep one or the other.

A few changes I'd make:
- Bigger carbon reactor. I initially wasn't anticipating mounting everything in a big closet, so I went with the BRS mini. I can easily put in like 5 more in my closet space. But I think the amount of carbon I'm running is fine for the water volume
- Adding another FMM to hook up an Apex Solenoid to my ATO reservoir. It's fed by my RO/DI (with pressure), and I manually open a ball valve to fill it up. I have a OS-1 sensor in the reservoir so I know when I need to fill it, but it would be good to just use my Apex to open the valve instead of manually doing it by hand in case I'm not home.
- A newer Maxspec Gyre with the OSG mode on the controller. Mine is basically brand new, but I bought it back in 2015. It has the older controller that doesn't have all the fancy stuff. It would be great to also control it with my Apex.
- Apex controller (new one) instead of the Apex Jr. But for now the Jr. does exactly what I need. But down the line maybe I'll get the new Apex is the new Triton dosing system is good and/or worth it for my system.

A lot of that is less "changing" and more "adding" when I need it. I'm happy with all my choices so far, just dialing in the right skimmer now.

You must plan on running a super high sensitivity biotope with a heavy fish and coral load. The 120 is for tanks up to 500 liters so that's a subtraction of around 70%. Jam pack it and feed heavy!

Update:

Got the NYOS Quantum 120 in the mail today.

Ambient decibels: 48 db
Simplicity 120 DC on: 61 dB
NYOS Quantum 120 on: 61 dB

So what the heck is going on? Maybe the iPhone decibel meter just sucks, but they measure the same decibels. But, the sound is totally different.

Simplicity has a louder pump noise. The NYOS has a super low hum. I wouldn't say the NYOS is dead silent, but the sound it puts out is pretty low and definitely not as annoying as the Simplicity. Simplicity seems to be all air + pump pressure noise. The NYOS is the usual hum of an AC pump.

I like the NYOS sound better. It seems quieter just because the sound is less intrusive.

I'll let it run a few more days and see if it breaks in or gets quieter.

Back