Can you make your own Brime Shrimp station?

bstear

Not that the cost is alot but I was just wondering if it was possible to make your own Brine Shrimp hatching stations. I thought I had seen an DIY for this once. Since the stations are really just 2 liter bottles with a nipple and tubing. I noticed one of the pictures on your website it looked like you had created your own.

Yes, you can. Here is an example of one I made a long time ago:

http://www.melevsreef.com/brineshrimp.html

However, the base will only cost you about $5, the bottle is free after you drink your favorite beverage, and then you need a pump, some tubing and a air-valve to control the airflow.

Can you cheat on the 100w bulb?

Can you cheat on the 100w bulb?

Can you use an Flourescent with lower wattage but equals 100w Normal Output ? My first post was based on your article on raising brine shrimp.

Some people raise them on the window sill. Basically, you want the water temperature to be about 81F, according to BrineShrimpDirect. The 40w fluorescent I use to light my phytoplankton nearby generates enough heat to do the job adequately.

Do remember to drink your favorite cola first!!...Hatching brine shrimp in cola doesn't really work that well....JK

Actually I use the two bottle trick. I couldn't find the base and all SF bay had were those crappy box style hatcheries (Hate em). Not sure if they discontinued those hatchery bases which is what we used to use.

My multi-hatcher simply uses a wood frame. I took two pieces of 2X4s about 6 inches long. The I took a 2 foot length of plywood I had lying around and wide enough to support a hole about the size of the diameter of the 2 litre bottle. (3 hatchers it supports). Then I took another piece of wood and cut it 4 inches shorter and used 2x4 pieces to shim it up about 2 inches and drilled a hole just big enough for the cap. I made sure I had about 3 inches of clearence and the shims helped stablize the system. I then mounted a brass set of air valves. I just unhook the air and put the collection chamber under the air valves to harvest.

There are actually acrylic ones too:
http://www.jmkdisplays.homestead.com/hatchers.html

Sorry for hijacking Marc

Ray

No problem Ray. Thanks for the link to those shiny hatcheries. I don't see how they could be used neatly, but then again all the images on that site are too small to view properly.

Back