CanadianReefMaster Red Sea Reefer 250 Coral reef tank journal.

Canreefmaster

Hello,
My name is Jeremy Wade and I am The Canadianreefmaster (Instagram & Youtube ). I have 25 years experience in the reef industry as a Biologist, importer, coral propagator, and coral fish/invert breeder, Aquatic environmental consultant, Reef aquatic consultant, Public Aquarium Consultant.
I live in Vancouver BC Canada (west coast) and have experience with saltwater aquariums from tropical, temperate and even arctic ecosystems!
I currently am limited on space so I am working with a Red Sea Reefer 250 and a 10 gallon nano tank.
I will start with a summary of the reefer250.

wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==
​​
(Picture: Fall/winter 2020; I started the tank in February 2020, I started adding coral in mid summer 2020 as I wanted to cycle the tank with the dry rock and pods)

Display
-Red Sea Reefer 250
-Carabsea aragonite sand
-100-150lb live rock - Real Fijian rock I imported years ago as live rock (plus: few lbs of fake live rock for bacteria and pods in the sump)
-1 max spec gyre pump (Running on 10-20%)
-1 power head

Lighting
-Radeon XR15 pro x 2

Sump
-Bubble Magnus curve 5
-2 little fish phosban reactor with GFO (1/2 cup)
-A heater-titanium
-Filter cups - Removed the filter sock and use carbon , bioballs, and filter floss (changed q3d)
-Quiet one return pump

Tech
-Probes- PH, ORP, REDOX, Salinity (conductivity), Temp
-GHL Proflux with Kh Director on automated control
-Kamoer X1 Microdoser- Tops up 200ml of salt water per day (removed by GHL for alkalinity testing)

Additives
Red sea Reef nutrition AB +
Lugols solution for idoine (only to check to know if i should hold a dose; 3 drops every 8 days)
Strontium (20-30 ml of Aquaforest every 2 weeks)
CaCl (Correction made by API and Red sea Test kits)
MgCl
Mg(S04)2 (Correction of magnesium using red sea titration)
NaHCO3 (80grams per litre stock solution- corrections made by GHL Proflux Kh director)
Vibrant (saltwater or reef; If I use the Saltwater Vibrant and I dose 2ml per 50 gallons every 8 days or by observation)
GFO- in reactor 1/2 cup changed every 4 months
Iron- red sea - correction based on test kit by red sea
Potassium - bright well stock solution as per directions, correction based on test kits by red sea

Livestock

Purple Tang
Bangaii Carinals (breeding pair)
Mandarine Goby
1 Clown
15 Snails
10 Bumblebee snail
10 hermit Crabs

Coral- To be discussed later
Testing - for corrections- Red Sea Test Kits and GHL
-potassium,
- Iron,
-Iodine,
-Strontium,
-Ca,
-Mg,
- NaHCO3,
-Sodium

Testing- if something looks off - Examples of this for a reef may be presence of algae, diatoms, dinosflagelates, cyanobacteria, coral not opening, colours of coral not as bright, polyp extension not occurring, etc.
-Nitrate, Phosphate

Hope everyone is well and enjoying their reefs!
To Be Continued!

Jeremy Wade; BSc Biology/Ecology, BSc Molecular Genetics/Pathophysiology, BSc Registered Nursing Specializing in High Acuity Medicine, Marine and Reef Ecosystem Consultant.
Canadianreefmaster Instagram & Youtube (don't forget to like comment and subscribe!!)

Thanks John, Ive actually been on Reef Central 25+ years (Age 10) (I wasn't aloud to have an "account" until I was around 13yo). I needed a "Re-Vamp" of my childhood user name. I figured I Grew up from being a "reef kid"; Although, I do act like one most of the time. I couldn't find a way to update the username. I'm very happy Reef Central is Back.

Some Old Pictures (2003-2006?)I found that I took of some coral (Japanese blue clove polyp) and feather duster under a Light Microscope,

DSCF3730.jpg

The microscope is a 100 year old medical microscope my grandfather gave me, he used as a doctor in his practice. Image quality of the lenses are better than the microscopes you get today!
However, quality of picture from the camera is not the best back when I took them.

Anyone have any fun microscopy pictures?

Jeremy
@Canadianreefmaster

Some Old Pictures (2003-2006?)I found that I took of some coral (Japanese blue clove polyp) and feather duster under a Light Microscope,

DSCF3741.jpg

The microscope is a 100 year old medical microscope my grandfather gave me, he used as a doctor in his practice. Image quality of the lenses are better than the microscopes you get today!
However, quality of picture from the camera is not the best back when I took them.

Anyone have any fun microscopy pictures?

Jeremy
@Canadianreefmaster

Check out my new YouTube video on Coral Nutrition and feeding. As I discusse how I feed my coral in my reefer 250 and 10 gallon nano tank

PhotoRoom-20220228_125213.png

Here is a link

Make sure to like, comment and subscribe!

Jeremy

I have been fragging lately as growth is phenomenal. I have many frags of ultra golden frammer (f. Parancora x F. paradivisa) available for pickup in Vancouver bc. As well as a number of other easy to keep coral. @40-60% less than retail price!

Utter chaos zoos
Rasta zoos
Montipora cap Forest green
Green nugget acro
Acropora Myiagi Tortosa
Acropora echinata green-robin egg blue
Green joker? Acropora (green base, blue tip, green polyp/tip)
Branching Ultra golden Frammer (rare)

I have been fragging lately as growth is phenomenal. I have many frags of ultra golden frammer (f. Parancora x F. paradivisa) available for pickup in Vancouver bc. As well as a number of other easy to keep coral. @40-60% less than retail price!

Utter chaos zoos
Rasta zoos
Montipora cap Forest green
Green nugget acro
Acropora Myiagi Tortosa
Acropora echinata green-robin egg blue
Green joker? Acropora (green base, blue tip, green polyp/tip)
Branching Ultra golden Frammer (rare)
Technically, this should be posted in the selling forums. You need 50 posts to access those forums.

Back