Candy cane issues

Atmosphere

So I have another problem with my candy cane and it seems it have hair algae growing all over the base and it's branches. I've tried scribing it with a tooth brush and cutting the stuff off with no luck. Question is can I do a coral dip to kill the algae off the coral? Or is that like throwing fuel to the fire? I just had a bad algae out break that has subsided now but the one place I can't get ride of it is on the candy cane. I've stopped spot feeding fearing its causing the algae to grow.

I had the same issue with a cany cane frag I got, it was SUPER prone to having algae grow all over the skeleton to the point that one head died.

I dipped it in a 50/50 mix of 3% hydrogen peroxide & tank water for about a min then put it back in my tank, it has been good for a week and the remaining heads are starting to puff up more than they ever had before. (good thing).

I used to take it out every week and scrub it with a tooth brush but the algae always grew back no matter where the frag was.

Along with the peroxide I also started running GFO system wide, but peroxide is supposed to 1) kill algae 2) inhibit growth in the peroxide'd area for a while.

Good luck, I was close to tossing my frag a few times so I know what its like!

I'm glad some one had the same issue as me! I've been using the tooth brush method too! I'm going to have to dry your dip method and see if I can get it to work. I hope it works for me this is one of my favorite corals.

there stems are pourus wich the algea gets into and you cant brush it out.put it inside a plastic container you get from a store and put a turbo sanail in there he will do it

there stems are pourus wich the algea gets into and you cant brush it out.put it inside a plastic container you get from a store and put a turbo sanail in there he will do it

Thanks sqwat i might need to try this. Im getting tired of pulling algee off it every week

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

+1 on reducing algea food.you cannot beat a good clean up crew with mexican turbo snails the mexican turbos eat all algea and then keep them clean by constantly eating and going over the spots.

I had the same issue with a cany cane frag I got, it was SUPER prone to having algae grow all over the skeleton to the point that one head died.

I dipped it in a 50/50 mix of 3% hydrogen peroxide & tank water for about a min then put it back in my tank, it has been good for a week and the remaining heads are starting to puff up more than they ever had before. (good thing).

I used to take it out every week and scrub it with a tooth brush but the algae always grew back no matter where the frag was.

Along with the peroxide I also started running GFO system wide, but peroxide is supposed to 1) kill algae 2) inhibit growth in the peroxide'd area for a while.

Good luck, I was close to tossing my frag a few times so I know what its like!

Can I do that with Zoe or mushrooms rocks? I have HA only growing in 2 places...

Not to get off subject, but i have not had such good luck with turbos in the past. They never seemed to last that long or a hermit would kill them. Anyone run into issues like this? I do have a new tank now and i am running carbon/gfo, and i scrubbed all the rocks clean of algae before moving to the new tank.

Wondering if i should pick up a few turbos again or not.

Im going to pick up a few turbos I think today. What should I do get 2 turbos since they say you should leave 10 gallons per turbo snail? I have a 30 gallon. You think they go for hair algae?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Back