Can't seem to keep Zoas

I've had several colonies (shop bought) of zoas and have never really been able to keep them successfully thriving. I always get just a small percentage open up whilst the others remain closed.

No matter if the water has perfect parameters or a little 'dirty' they stay the same.

I have just bought a new colony and the same is happening with them. I had tried middle placement and high both with medium water flow. The ones that open seem to open fully, but most remain closed.

Any advice??
Thanks.

0682520527800cf6c030b16365a3b4c6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you checked them for pests yet? (Nudibranchs, Sea Spiders, Sundial snails, Asterina stars) Having any one of these will sometimes cause the polyps to stay closed for long periods of time. You might want to look into freshwater dips or perhaps chemicals like Coral Rx, Revive etc.

Flow? Zoas is a coral I have no problems with, maybe I can help. Are you burning them with your lights when introducing? I don't do dips (want to start soon), but I'd do that, too.

I actually moved them higher so they were closer to the lights and now they seem perfect. I made my own LED lighting and haven't fitted the lenses yet so not as powerful as they should be. I'll have to remember to lower them once done.

Thanks though. And I'm gonna start dipping too. Just got to find the right product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got lots of zoa colonies, and most are no trouble at all. However, I did just get a new frag a few weeks ago that I had to move all over the tank before they would open up. Perhaps you've just had a bit of bad luck.

There was a time i never siphoned my sand and i had no invertebrates shifting the sand which led to my corals closing up. Once i changed the sand the immediately opened.... consider your sand a possible culprit

Back