Caring for a cuttle fish

Mackenze

So two months ago I bought a 99 dollar order from saltwaterfish.com. If you make it 99 or more on Fridays they give you free shipping, so i added a cuttle fish egg just to get over the hump and get that free shipping.
When the shipment arrives its all alive and well. I get my fish in the tank and i put the egg in a mesh type bag, before dangling it above a powerhead (good steady not too jerky movement)
1 month later the egg disappears and I forget about it.
But last week when i got home from a night out. I see the cuttlefish!!
He's white and a solid half inch ball. He's got a fantastic location/cave/spot, where I can see him anytime if I shine a flashlight in the cave.
I know on average they don't live longer then 6 months, But i wanna at least give him a damn good 6 months.
Feeding him live brine is proving difficult. I could poor half a cup with 10,000 live brine in my tank and I feel like he'd still only get a few bites.
Astonishingly I've witnessed this little guy eating a red Omega one sinking pellet food :O my Heniochus acuminatus (very picky eating fish) also eats this generic cheap stuff.
So all in all it seems this is turning into a happy ending.
Anyone keep cuttlefish? Whats your secret?

You could section off a large portion of the tank into a big fuge loaded with pods, which would drift over to feed the cuttle. Then, you just feed the fuge.

Even vitamin enriched live brine is not enough nutrition for a growing cuttlefish.

I raised mine in my refugium. It was very easy to keep them contained, make sure they got fed and keep them safe from display tank conditions.

My experience is
2 weeks minimum on live mysis (some of my cuttles have been willing to eat amphipods right away but the majority refused and would only eat mysis for the first 2 weeks)
1 month on amphipods
1 month on live grass shrimp (either fresh of salt, though I prefer salt since I can easily keep them in a separate refugium plumbed to the DT)
Then train them to eat frozen krill and its easy mode.

Back