Caymans...

LefkoNJ

Heading to Grand Cayman in a few months wanted to know if others have been there for diving and other activities. Any shops I should just avoid all together.

Thanks

I highly recommend Indigo Divers. Small charters...no more than six divers. When we went it was just four of us on each dive day.

I much prefer diving the east end. However, it is a decent drive from where most people stay near 7 mile beach. But if you are going to dive the east end either do it with ocean frontiers or you can do it thru red sail sports at the Morritt's tortuga club, the manager James is a great guy and guide. There aren't many good shore dives on the island the only one worth noting in my opinion is sunset house which is closer to the west end in the south sound. If you are staying on the west end I would STRONGLY recommend trying to get ahold of Scuba Cayman +1 345-926-4739. CJ and James Ebanks are the best divers on the island if you ask me and will likely pick you up on seven mile beach. The only doable wreck on the island is the USS Kittiwake, which is a really fun dive however there is not much life on the boat as it is a fairly new wreck. Any questions let me know.

Surprised people don't think the shore dives are good. I have been several times, always shore dives. We hit the new region where the turtle farm used to be. There is a restaurant ( cracked conch) that had a dive shop in the bottom and it has a keyhole to swim out of. Less than 50m off shore is the first wall that drops to 70' sand flat for another 50m till the outside wall comes up to 35' then drops to deep deep.

Last edited:
We like that place too. Macabuca. Dive....eat and hydrate....dive....eat and hydrate.....repeat. Easy and relaxed if that is what you want. Lots of royal grammas.

I like nonstressful diving. And if I can easily swim from shore into water beyond the limits of safe diving, then the boat seems optional.

Back