Chalice Receding Help!!!

semperfi102582

I bought a chalice frag that had 1 eye at time of purchase. A month went by and I noticed another eye forming. Within the last few days The new eye has dissipated and tissue is receding toward the original eye. I test for alk: 9 dkh cal:400 temp: 79-80, and I have never been able to register nitrates on my red sea kit. I run carbon and gfo and skim. I dose 10 ppm of BRS 2 part once daily. All of my other corals SPS and LPS are doing well. The chalice is on the sand bed under 250k radium. I feed rods food once a day. Any ideas as to what could be causing this?

Try moving to lower light. Maybe some shade. Had one do that and it worked. Also some time it looks like it is receding as new tissue is starting to grow.

The sand itself may be an irritant, or is harboring something your chalice doesn't like. Maybe try elevating it off the sand with a PVC plug or something like that.

The chalice is technically not on the sand it is on a plug on the sand. The coral itself is about half an inch up. I've had it in shade for about three days now and I don't see any improvement. Any other suggestions

Best bet it to just let it chill out under low light/low flow and make sure to keep any algae that might crop-up off of it. Will likely take a few weeks -- not just a few days to show signs of recovery.

Do you have any other chalices under the Radium? If you have a known "honey-hole" where chalices are happy, try putting it as close to that spot as possible.

For what it's worth, I've been experimenting with chalices under my Radium that were doing really well under my LEDs. Many of them aren't looking as good as they once did even though they share the same water parameters. Flow and lighting play a huge factor (like with most corals). I've moved several chalices back under LEDs because they weren't doing as well under the Radium/VHO combo.

Try to take out the active carbon, sometimes it changes the ion balance if run with gfo.

By the way I have had problems to keep chalices with leds until I suplemented them with T5's

Back