Chalky residue alway collecting on glass??

reefmutts

Premium Member
Anyone get a chalky residue on the glass. Its not Coraline...

My Cal. levels are 410 and Kh is 8.6. It just started accumulating, tank has been up and running for 5 years. SPS, LPS, Clams, BB.

Dosing with a Kalk Reactor, and B-Ionic.

Anyone seen this on there tank??

I think it is the kalk. Mine doesn't appear in 2 days but it accumulates. I dose kalk in my top off and my sump gets covered in a very thin white sheet. It comes off with a razor blade. Try not adding so much kalk. I think it has to do with the kalk water being very high in pH, cal, and alk compared to the surrounding water. I add it in my sump and that is where I get the accumulation on the glass. HTH
Chris

I use Salifert Test kits.

Yes, its a very thin white sheets of chalky substance. I think it has to do with the kalk as well. I add the Kalk with a reactor as per topoff to my sump, but it shows up in my tank as well..
I only evaporate 1 gal a day.

Its not a big deal but I have to scrape my glass every 2-3 days. I guess its better than scraping algea.

But anyone know how to reduce this?

I got it in my tank before as well. . Try using 1tbs per gallon instead of two and see if that helps. I lose about 1 gal per day also. It is the exact thing that happens to me.

Good idea, reducing the amount of kalk in the reactor, but are your numbers correct 1 tbs per gallon i(Thats about 75 for me. I only put in about 1 cup of Kalk in my reactor at a time). I think I put in two cups about a few weeks ago.

Back