Changing lead from USA plug to Australian plug.

Duzzy73

Hi there,

the algae/turf scrubber I love I can’t find in Australia , I’m after the

APIS-300 Algae Turf Scrubber however the plug is not Australia available as far as I know. I have a letter in to Hmahli sumps to see if he can modify his to a bottom drain if so problem solved if not can I just open the lights and change the leads? Cut the plug of and replace with an Aussie plug or get an adapter. I’m really unsure what to do. I’ve searched here but can’t find many scrubbers here, there’s a few reactors but not really what I want.

Regards Duzzy

This is about 4 days since scraping. This scrubber is the best on the market. The only thing I changed was I worked up to higher flow than 400gph recommended, and the screen fills so fast and thick, I reinforced the screen holding because mine ripped off a couple times. Apparently it's not common. But a few zipties and acrylic rod has it solid. I've killed the screen 3 or 4 rides now due to pump issues (not the APIS fault) and each time it came back to life quickly.
I would call this a "lifetime" product for sure.
20230713_081615.jpg

@Duzzy73 you could ask BRS if the lights have 230v 50hz on the tag. The labels on mine fell off. Most lights like that will say 85-260vac 50/60hz. And the power supply sorts it out. You'd just need a pair of c-13 cables with the as3112 plug if so.

Screenshot_20230807-075554_Amazon Shopping.jpg

This is about 4 days since scraping. This scrubber is the best on the market. The only thing I changed was I worked up to higher flow than 400gph recommended, and the screen fills so fast and thick, I reinforced the screen holding because mine ripped off a couple times. Apparently it's not common. But a few zipties and acrylic rod has it solid. I've killed the screen 3 or 4 rides now due to pump issues (not the APIS fault) and each time it came back to life quickly.
I would call this a "lifetime" product for sure.
View attachment 32389469

That’s incredible. What size tank.

@Duzzy73 you could ask BRS if the lights have 230v 50hz on the tag. The labels on mine fell off. Most lights like that will say 85-260vac 50/60hz. And the power supply sorts it out. You'd just need a pair of c-13 cables with the as3112 plug if so.

View attachment 32389471

‘Yeah knew about cables just wasn’t sure if they would blow but judging by pic below should be fine. I’ve messaged the manufacturer to find out.

Australia is also 50hz. I believe running 60hz equipment on 50hz will make it draw more current and run hotter. Is that bad? I would think so long term and I would play it safe with a voltage converter rather than just an adapter.

Australia is also 50hz. I believe running 60hz equipment on 50hz will make it draw more current and run hotter. Is that bad? I would think so long term and I would play it safe with a voltage converter rather than just an adapter.
But the voltage converter will just be 120v at 50hz, no? Higher voltage means less amperage, which usually translates to less heat. Also, I dont think it matters much to electronic led drivers as much as it does for motors and pumps. Assuming the driver is spec'd for it.

That’s incredible. What size tank.
300 net gallon lightly stocked, but heavily fed coral propagation system. I run rhe scrubber 20 minutes on, 10 minutes off. Repeating all day and night. Ends up 18hrs of "on" time. Much more efficient this way. Algae is "stupid" and doesn't need long 8+ hour dark periods like coral does.

Just an update, here’s the response I received from manufacturer

" Hey Darren.

According to the lighting manufacturer, the fixtures can be used in Australia with the AU plug. The power cords for the fixtures are separate from the fixture itself so you would need to replace the supplied power cords with the AU equivalent.
The fixtures are voltage rated at 100~240vAC.
I hope that helps.

Thanks for reaching out!"

Back