Changing UV in/out

Hello everyone, I have a question in regards to the UV sanitizers. The particular one I'm looking at is Coralife Turbo Twist UV Fish Tank Sterilizer 6X. My question is the in and out part. The diameter on the sterilizer is 3/4 of an inch. My filter is an FX6, which the hose is 1inch in diameter. To my knowledge going to a smaller diameter will cause the motor to fail earlier than expected. I was thinking about boring the hole to 1inch and putting a larger barbed piece on both ends (using a two part epoxy so it wont leak). What are your thoughts? I can go with a different UV device, but something about this particular one pulls me to it. My aquarium is 125 gallon in a room with a lot of natural light, so green cloudy is a constant battle. Thanks again

I don’t run a UV sterilizer but I’d be worried about leaks.

It sounds like you’re trying to run it in-line with the filter, I do know usually the flow should be regulated so the UV can function properly. It looks like the sterilizer can be ran independently. I’d possibly look at doing that and having a separate DC pump so you can adjust the flow. Others should chime in with better/more accurate advice

The output of the of the FX6 will make the UV ineffective. IMO, I would spend $30 and get a MJ1200 hooked up to the UV.....otherwise, you will burn the motor out on the FX6 by restricting it...

The Corallife looks like it has HOB function with included mounts.....get the MJ1200 and you are done with it......

Back