Cheap Metal Halides [HELP]

You're underestimating T5's

I have a TekLight 6 Bulb on my 90 Gallon (Taller than your 75). I can keep any coral under the sun. The Icecap retro w/ indiv. reflectors is actually better than the unit I have.

Here's a pic of my tank (notice the Crocea Clam on the sand bed).

030.jpg

it will put me around 4w per gallon and thats the bare min

Please please please roll this term up in a little tiny ball, and throw it in the garbage. Watts per gallon means nothing in reefkeeping.

Amoore311, i could no agree with you more! Before i switched back to HQI(i love the shimmer look) i have 4 5thos wiht single light reflectors and like you i was able to keep any coral under the sun, the person who said they would not be enough for a reef, i believe donest know really that much about 5ts.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12908438#post12908438 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by oceanparadise1
Well i did my research bye owning them enough said! they arent worth the money at all! I also posted a thread asking peoples thoughts and got all negitive response's. So maybe you can do some research next time before you assume that i didnt, i beleive owning them once is enought research righ there! And once again DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY

When did you own these fixtures and which fixtures did you own?

I have the 760W HQI model, and I couldn't be happier. I upgraded the ballasts with 2 IceCaps and replaced the stock bulbs with $21 eBay bulbs. All in all, I paid $659. Are there better fixtures out there? Sure. Are there fixtures with better reflectors? Sure. Are they worth $400 more? Not in my opinion.

I would have to disagree, i had one and it sucked! Why put in the extra money, i went and baught a 2x250hqi and 2x130pc USED for 250 bucks! now thats def worth it! And he said he doesnt have alot of money, and you had to change out the ballast and bulbs! Im just looking out for him, it would be better in the long run for him to buy a decent used one.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12911299#post12911299 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by oceanparadise1
I would have to disagree, i had one and it sucked! Why put in the extra money, i went and baught a 2x250hqi and 2x130pc USED for 250 bucks! now thats def worth it! And he said he doesnt have alot of money, and you had to change out the ballast and bulbs! Im just looking out for him, it would be better in the long run for him to buy a decent used one.

With all due respect, your particular experience is just that. There are plenty of people, myself included, who have had nothing but good experiences with this fixture. I'm not saying you're wrong to not want to buy/use this fixture, but that's your preference.

True but also i posted a thread in teh lighting section i got numerous post and pms with nothing but bad reviews about the fixture, that with my previous dealing with the light, there would be no point in any one buying it IMO. If so many people have had a bad experience with it, esp with the ballast burning out, then why even take the chance? Thats like a football team signing an amazing running back coming off acl surgery, or signing a pitcher who just had tommy john surgery. Sure the price is right and it looks good from the outside BUT theres much more risk, so why take that chance?

I don't understand the argument for a $659 purchase when you can retrofit for much cheaper..

Click Here

That link right there is $359.00 w/o bulbs. for a similar set up to that fixture. Add in your $20 MH Bulbs and decent T5's and your up to around $440. And your getting very good reflectors, and top of the line ballasts. Not to mention your actinics are better (T5 vs. CFL).

Yes that $506 is with good quality bulbs.

My question was to Abulgin that spent $659 on the Aquatraders fixture, +new ballasts when he could have saved over $150, gotten good quality halide bulbs, better quality actinics, and not had to gut the fixture to mod it.

O okay i understand! Yea i agree, whats the point of buying a fixture to just gut it with new equipment? I agree, do the retro fit!

hey just to throw some good words in for aquatraders I have the 24" 380 fixture that you lookin at yours is just a few inches bigger. I love mine it arrived great and works great. I love the leds and the external ballast with the built in fans in the ballast and fixture it keeps cool and I haven't ran into one problem with mine. Bulb quality isn't the best I don't think but they get the job done in then some. If you want to see my tank I can show you some pics I run it on my 28 gallon bowfront. I would recommend them with just saying once you get your use out of the stock bulbs, upgrading is only going to make it even better witch i'm about to do. I would tell you to go for I LOVE mine.

im leanning more and more towards it...even if the fixture doesnt push out the wattage it says im ok with it...its only a 29 gal...and if i dont get 10.3watts per gallon and still get 7 ill be still fine with it.

MY ONLY CONCERN was the fire hazzard...

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12910985#post12910985 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Amoore311
You're underestimating T5's

I have a TekLight 6 Bulb on my 90 Gallon (Taller than your 75). I can keep any coral under the sun. The Icecap retro w/ indiv. reflectors is actually better than the unit I have.

Here's a pic of my tank (notice the Crocea Clam on the sand bed).

030.jpg

Please please please roll this term up in a little tiny ball, and throw it in the garbage. Watts per gallon means nothing in reefkeeping.

wait....you have no idea how much hope you just gave me.

would you be interested in giving me some adviceif i ask for any??

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12915817#post12915817 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by alextheromanian
wait....you have no idea how much hope you just gave me.

would you be interested in giving me some adviceif i ask for any??

and another thing how much did you spend on that light fixture?

I agree watts per gallon means squat now a days! Alex, i had 4x54watt t5hos on my 55 gallon and could keep ANY corals! I didnt have slrs either it was just the nove extreme unit!

I'll help you out any way that I can :p That's why I'm here. (And to get help on my questions as well of course lol)

The light fixture I got used from a guy in my local reef club for $300. I got the fixture w/ bulbs but I swapped all of them out as they were pretty old.

You can get a brand new fixture (w/o bulbs) at Reef Geek for $390.

I have the legs on my fixture ($57 -_-). I'd recommend the hanging kit if you have the option of doing that.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12915881#post12915881 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by oceanparadise1
I agree watts per gallon means squat now a days! Alex, i had 4x54watt t5hos on my 55 gallon and could keep ANY corals! I didnt have slrs either it was just the nove extreme unit!

i have no idea what the t5 bulbs i have are....but if i give you the name and whatevers written on them can you tell me what you think the exact combo of bulbs would be better since we already established that i have to many actinics and what not...?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12917374#post12917374 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Amoore311
I'll help you out any way that I can :p That's why I'm here. (And to get help on my questions as well of course lol)

The light fixture I got used from a guy in my local reef club for $300. I got the fixture w/ bulbs but I swapped all of them out as they were pretty old.

You can get a brand new fixture (w/o bulbs) at Reef Geek for $390.

I have the legs on my fixture ($57 -_-). I'd recommend the hanging kit if you have the option of doing that.

wwellll i bult a canopy but i might end up mmoving the tank when i build a fish room and in that case i would hang the lights but...

i wanna say thank you first and give me a chance today to take pictures of the whole lighting system i have so everyone gets a good idea of what is going on and how it can be better improved.

Back