check out the SF chronicle today (2/22)

yoshiod9

hey all, after moving from sacramento to concord and starting my new job, i haven't been online or really involved in the scene in a long time (teaching 8th grade is quite time consuming!).
anyway, i just wanted to point out that our own Matt Wandell's hands are pictured on the front page of the chronicle, today. :) too funny.
hope everyone is well! (for those of you that don't remember me, i'm the guy that had the pierced lip/spiky hair and girlfriend in tow to all the MARS/BAR events).
anyway, check out today's chronicle for an update on the academy of sciences in golden gate park.

here's a link if you don't want to go get a hard copy.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/02/22/MNV0V6QB0.DTL&tsp=1
-danny

that's what happens with the newspaper editors. something seems extraneous to them and they leave it out. shady. however, the link i posted has a video and some pictures of the corals. quite nice things were donated.

lol. shouldn't you be out getting rich while i toil away and try to educate our irresponsible youth? :) hope you're well, dude!

hey bryan! yeah, i hadn't been on in forever but just had to say hello after seeing the article in the paper. hope you're well, man!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11912251#post11912251 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GreshamH
Too bad they didn't mention BAR by name when talking about the donated coral :(
"All the corals that will eventually thrive in the new Academy building's huge tank have been donated by other aquaria and private coral fanciers[...]"

ewwww... makes us sound like a bunch of stuffy rich guys standing around smoking cigars :(

Hey Danny!

So I just pointed this out in the other thread in the BAR forum, but a number of institutions and dedicated, enthusiastic, skilled, caring (add your glowing adjective here) hobbyists have contributed to the coral collection at Steinhart. As well, several hobbyists volunteer with us on a weekly basis to help keep our tanks maintained and we appreciate every bit of it!

I have said this many times before, but I have tremendous respect for the hobbyist community that I am a part of. The great part about reef hobbyists is that we are pre-programmed to have the knowledge and caring to tell people about coral reefs. Since one of our primary objectives at the Academy is to educate the public about the natural world (coral reefs included), we share that common goal with the hobbyist community.

Back