Chiller questions

I run a JBJ 1/5th chiller on my 90 with a 20g also on the system and it does great.

I also run a 1/4hp on my 120.

I tried the 1/5th on the 120 but it was constantly running.

chris, you run a west coast right? How does it compare to the other brands? Did they stop selling chillers?

By that thing it says I need to call them for a soulution ......... which means by that thing I need more than 1/2 hp chiller for my 120 .............Its not acurate IMO.

Heres some info.......

1 GALLON OF WATER=8.34LBS
1 BTU COOLS 1LB OF WATER 1 F

EXAMPLES
100GAL OF WATER=834 LBS
834 BTU'S NEEDED TO COOL 100 g OF WATER 1 DEGREE F

1/5 HP CHILLER=2500 BTU'S/HR AND CAN COOL 300 GAL OF WATER 1 F IN ONE HOUR OR 100 GAL 3 F/HR

150-gallon Plexiglas tank needs a 20 degree temperature drop-would require a minimum 1/4 hp. CHILLER.

1/4 HP CHILLER=3200 BTU'S HR CAN COOL 400 GAL 1F/HR OR 100 GAL 4f/hr

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6898867#post6898867 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MattD004
chris, you run a west coast right? How does it compare to the other brands? Did they stop selling chillers?

Yes I have 2 of them ............No they still sell chillers :D

Thx guys, I think that I need to have at least a 1/5 or greater for my little 90g. I will look for something in that range or a little bigger would be even nicer.

I have a 1/4 HP Sea Clear on my 100 G and it works fine. This time of year it runs once a day, at about 8 or 9 PM for about 45 minutes. In the hottest summer months it runs about 3 or 4 times a day again for about 45 minutes.

Well lets see...................... uh Noon until 10, uh......naught plus ten........hey,...I think thats 10 hours!
Actually the VHO actinics come on at 11:30, the MH comes on at about noon and goes off at 9:30 and the VHO goes off at 10. My refugium is lit opposite the main tank with 2x32w PC and the main tank has 3x1 w LED moonlights.

Thx, AzDesertRat that is about what I am doing as well, I am just starting a little later in the day in hopes of keeping it a little cooler.

I know lots of people have the Time of Day electric plan so they do all their high electric use at night as its cheaper but I am sacked out by then and wouldn't be able to enjoy my tank. I found after the chiller the house is much more comfortable with the lower humidity.

My 44g comes on at 12pm and shuts off at 10pm
my 40g comes on 12pm and off at 12am
my 90 comes on 12pm and off at 12am
my 20g comes on at 12am and goes off at 11 am
my 120 comes on at 2pm full light by 5pm and goes off at 2am
my 15g comes on 7am and goes off at 7pm.

That just about sums it up :D

I think you have a sickness Chris! And you got it bad too. I'm down to two tanks at home and thats enough. Hopefully I'll do another one in my office soon.

I keep tring to get the number down ........ but they just wont go away :lmao: Hopefully once the 180 is up I can go down to 3 tanks.

chris man don't forget my controller for frag meeting and i agree with az you do have a sickness that is six tanks holy crap what are the different tanks? if you don't mind me asking

I won't :D

120 BB SPS and LPS
90g BB Softie/LPS
44g Nutrient sink with softies, lps and 1 sps. + millions of pods and lots of macro no fish.
20g zoanthid and seahorse tank
40g coral grow out and holding tank with fish .
and a 15g hex thats a calurpa tank and pod breeding ground .

Back