Chromis

Tommy3492

Hey guys so i acclimated 6 baby chromis real small for my tank, for about 1 hour, and i put them in, and now like 1 hour later only 2 are out and swimming about.... could it be possible for the others to be sucked down the overflow box, they are small enough to fit through slits, or they just hidding?

Probably just hiding. Give it 24 hours. They usually don't hide for very long.

How big a tank did you put them in. That many at once in a small tank could give you an ammonia spike.

i started with 4 chromises. now i have 0. first they weeded themselves out then the last 2 just disapeared. not within 24 hours though. everyone that ive talked too said chromises dont last very long for some reason.

My chromis, 4 of them, have been around for over 6 months now. They just went to a new home a few weeks ago.

I have 6 chormis...and they all still alive one of the most hardiest fishes in the tank and yes make sure they are well fed.

Started out with 8, they weeded out the 4 weekest ones, and the 4 I have left have been with me for almost a year now. Indestructible fish!

It seems to be hit or miss with these. I started with 5 over 6 months ago and they are still doing fine. My guess would be if they all have enough places to hide, and all are getting enough food, that they might be less likely to kill each other. It's just a thought though.

I wonder if maybe the success stories come from chromis that are collected, shipping and bought together. Instead of getting a miss-mash of chromis packs after they get mixed up at the distributor?

I have 6 six them and have been awesome, but they are well feed because my tangs get feed twice a day. So they get a lot of scrapes.

hey got a problem lolz, only 2 are out i believe the other 4 are dead, the biggest one is alive along with a smaller one who does not look like it is doing to well, i acclmated them by the drip method for over 1 hour but i beleive the temp in the bucket was like 60-65 so may have killed them when i put them in.... i called LFS he says it still is probably a little early, and that a reef tank does not fully cycle until over a year, says one of his large one in his store is still not done cycling... its almost my 5th these tank has been up, what is a good sign that your tank is ready to start adding some fish???

I had 4 for about 6 months and they were great. Last week one jumped out. I've never see aggression just the normal poking at each other. Glad I have them, adds nice activity to the tank and they school.

The temp might have got them. I find temp difference to be a major fish killer during acclimation. When I acclimate a fish I set the bag in tank for 20 minutes. Then I use a turkey baster and pull out half the water in the bag and put in a bucket. I then add that same amount bag in the bag. I do this every 5 minutes, 3 times. Never lost anything. I find the drip method to be time consuming and dangerous because the water is cooling faster than the drip can keep up.

I also would check your ammonia with a test kit. It is possible you got a spike but chromis can handle a pretty decent spike. If you add that many fish at once try to feed 2 small meals a day for about a week to let filtration catch up. Alot of people get new fish and try to feed constantly to keep them happy in their new home and it can cause water problems. I know because I've done it.

Back