cirrculation needs

lionfish99518

I am going to be setting up a 65 gallon reef. I would like to do sps. I was wondering how much circulation should I put in there? The measurements are 36x18x25tall. I am going to put the 36" halide aqualight on the tank and a 30" t-5 actinic light.

If you own a lfs with 12 yrs exp you should have a clue. If you're looking here for confirmation, I say "yeah...rip that flow."

SPS need a bunch of good random flow.

BTW

[welcome]

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9807102#post9807102 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Salamander
If you own a lfs with 12 yrs exp you should have a clue. If you're looking here for confirmation, I say "yeah...rip that flow."

how true this is...

In my reefer brain I see fish store and automatically think LFS. Could be wrong...I often am.

I'd agree with sabbath on the #'s. Be sure its random, turbulent and dispersed flow.

I've been looking at the Hydor Koralias. They seem to be a good product (post recall) and have a great wide flow pattern that creates some eddies for tubulent flow. I'm not sure of the flow but I'd think 2 of the #1's would work on opposite sides of the tank to give you some great flow.

And I bet you do have some great (edible) fish stores in your neck of the woods.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9807230#post9807230 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sandman450f
Who ever said he owned an LFS?

he did. look below his avatar. no big deal...

I recommend the Hydor Koralias. I put 2 of the #4s in my tank with great results. Dr. Fosters had them on special like a week ago.

tunze or seio superflows are good for there output. the seio though is considerably less money. much better built also. (i have both and the build quality of the seio is far better). another option with the seio is that with bracket modification, the entire motor assembly can be above the water level thereby not transfering any heat to the tank... the remaining portion within the tank is smaller than the tunze...

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9807230#post9807230 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sandman450f
Who ever said he owned an LFS? Eskimos eat fish too, as in Fish Market !!!

J/K please take no offense!!!

Or he can own a fish store for all his life still the first time to plan an SPS tank?

I thought for an SPS reef you can do 60 to 70 times easy, in his case a total of 4000 gph would not be too much.

I'd consider four Tunze 6025s modded to put out 1200 gph each and uses only 7W each so you get the most flow you can pack in the tank and not add much heat at the same time. Thay are also the smallest pumps, consider your tank does not have a whole lot of room for the big pumps.

I just installed 2 Tunze 6025's in my 65 tonight and I love them. I have a mixed reef with SPS, LPS and a couple softies, so we'll how they enjoy the flow. I plan to do the Tunze mod to at least one of them to bump up the GPH.

Back