Clam Issue

Look up the stuff by 369AUGold here, he has some very large, very healthy clams. Or give his shop a call - Marine World in Hot Springs, AR. USA he is very good with clams. he will explain the things you should dose and why for them.

If you don't have nitrate issues, you might try doing amino acids. Mine seem to benefit from daily amino acid dosing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dose Amino's, Coral Vitalizer every day and Sponge Power from KZ every day. I don't think it's a nutrient issue. I run ICP tests (and I'm doing another one tomorrow) and these clams were alive when my phosphates were near 0. They are around .03 now.

The large wild caught maxima normally die. Dersaaa squmosa do Great. Gig as you won't get they aren't available

df6b9cbfc0f0226bf4ad412c5850615a.jpg

My clam garden

The biggest about 2 year it started off at 3inch now it's about 6 inches the other two 1 year the 6 months.

I do not mean to high jack this thread but I do have a question. I just recently got a smallish maxima clam (maybe 3") and am new to keeping them. What am I looking for here that shows your clams are dying? Is it the filter part or the mantle? Mine seems to be healthy so far it opens and closes with light and I always notice a little filter piece poking out. The mouth tends to be open when the clam is open during the day.

I do not mean to high jack this thread but I do have a question. I just recently got a smallish maxima clam (maybe 3") and am new to keeping them. What am I looking for here that shows your clams are dying? Is it the filter part or the mantle? Mine seems to be healthy so far it opens and closes with light and I always notice a little filter piece poking out. The mouth tends to be open when the clam is open during the day.

Sounds healthy. Wave your hand over it or cover the light, does it react? If it does it's healthy. If it does not, it does not mean it's sick.

Look under the mantle when it closes. Does the shell have a strip of white along it? That's good, it means the shell is growing.

It's a maxima so is it in a rock? Did it attach itself to the rock? That's good too it means it's healthy.

You need all of these things mostly.

Show us a pic.

Ok I will take a pic. No I just put it in the substrate to get to acclimate first. It kinda moves around on its own. I will take a pic when I get home tonight.

Ok I will take a pic. No I just put it in the substrate to get to acclimate first. It kinda moves around on its own. I will take a pic when I get home tonight.

You'll want to put it on a flat rock or they make clam discs, it will burrow into your glass bottom if not.

What do you mean by the filter piece poking out? Do you mean the siphon? The actual filtering apparatus is inside the clam, around the gills. The mouth (or siphon inlet) should be open but not too much (it should not be gaping).

Yes the siphon inlet. The mouth is open as well. Ok I will put a rock under it, although I wouldn't mind if it found a spot in the sand and made a footing their if that's what it likes. My question really was that to tell if a clam is not doing well is it the idea that the shell is remaining closed or that the siphon is remaining closed and/or both?

Yes the siphon inlet. The mouth is open as well. Ok I will put a rock under it, although I wouldn't mind if it found a spot in the sand and made a footing their if that's what it likes. My question really was that to tell if a clam is not doing well is it the idea that the shell is remaining closed or that the siphon is remaining closed and/or both?

They can break the bottom of your tank if it's thin enough that is why I mentoined it.
A clam that is not doing well will gape and or have it's mantle receding.

Like this

505be643e9fd75d0ada357466cc7fbcf.jpg

Or this

crocea2.jpg

Good information here! Let's keep it coming. My update is that I moved my derasa to the other side of the tank. It was in a lot of flow and it has no shell growth. I'm wondering if it was getting stressed. Will know more as the days pass but so far I don't see signs of death with this one. She may be ok. His mantle looks good. My concern is his growth and also he's not flushing water through him.

418a4016f9c6cf68d0145a2958f35862.jpg

Lights went off and he's not closing. Not good.

Mantle losing colour, slit gapping, expelling junk, closed always.....yours is fine....moderate to intense light, phyto feeding, great water, once the bysal gland is stuck down if in rocks, do not move. Enjoy! Clams are not that hard once they used to their new home.
They do like consistency.....like everything else we keep.

The purplish clam above with the gapping inlet.....that of course is very bad.
It is struggling for some reason.
1 of my clams is 3 years old now, I see no growth but he is open, colourful and seems quite healthy.....clams grow very very slowly....

Back