Clam possibly dying....... Need Advice

TURKLET0N

I came home today and my clam was retracted and two of my fish passed. I tested my water. Nitrate 5-10, Nitrite 0, Ammonia 0, Salinity 1.026, ph 8.0, Alk 7.6. I also did a 40 gallon water change once I got home after I checked my levels. The only thing I've done differently over the past week was adding Kalkwasser to my ATO but I'm not sure if that would cause two fish and possibly a clam to die. I posted a pic of the clam. Should I consider him dead or leave him there and hope for the best?

Attachments

• IMG_3120.jpg
    IMG_3120.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 0
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but that clam is already dead. Throw it out before it becomes an ammonia bomb.

I threw it out yesterday. I'm just confused how my clam and two fish died in the same day. Everything else is doing fine and all my perimeters are normal.

What was your Alk the last time you checked it. I believe that clams take up ALK. So maybe you had low ALK and that killed the clam and the fish ate the dead clam and died...Just my thought..

My alkalinity was at 7.82 days previous to it dying. The two Fish that died was a Manderin and a pink Anthius. I would be surprised if they would pick at the clam but who knows.

How are you adding kalk? If you pump it in when the sump drops you can have large ph spikes. Not that you would kill clams or fish that way but who knows?

Mixing it and then pouring ten gallons in my ATO and adding it through evaporation. I've never had my ph read anything other than 7.8-8.0

Back