Clarkii Larval Rearing (no rotifers?)

Jason,

Cannot wait to see those pictures.

kathy, glad to see that you managed to get the name changed.

Steve

Well, I promised to give updates on the first hatch...so no matter how dismal, I lost two today. I moved them to my shelving unit that will become the rearing station. I just drained most of the water, cleaned the sides, and carried the tank. I filled it up about 50% with their old water, and took advantage of the situation and added 50% water from the parents tank (directly after a large water change in the parent tank...stupid).

The pH went from 7.9 to 8.2 rather quickly, so I assume this was the problem. All the rest are happy and eating well. So make my count 7 now...at this rate, I'll be lucky to get any to a pet store! :(

The other hatch is doing very well, only lost 3 that i can see today, check the other thread for an update. Then I'll post the "fish room" pics.

Jason, what day/week are they at right now?

I am just wondering because if I recall our hatches shouldn't be too far apart in age. I am currently at 5 weeks, and haven't seen any loss in the post metamorphsis stage yet. All the ones that I have lost so far have been pre-meta. Basically, I am looking to see if there is anything that I need to look forward to in regards to loss.

:fish1::hammer:

Day 31 or 32, yours are a few days older if my memory serves me. I wouldn't worry much about yours, these two died because I screwed up...or temporarily stopped thinking, you pick :)

I had just (I'm talking five minutes before) changed 20 gallons in my 100g. Then I thought "hey, while I've got all the stuff out, I'll move the fry tank. Drained it, moved it, and added 5 gallons of the water from the main tank. The pH jump alone probably did them in, but there was probably a slight temp difference also.

Doh... I am a bit afraid to move them from their larvae tank just for that same reason... I think what I might do is a lot of testing for equipment to make sure everything matches before I move anyone over...

Good news is that I finally have a nice size comparison of one of my kids...

52545baby_clown_inch-med.jpg

I am currently sitting at 19 I think, possibly 20, but I have little way of finding an accurate count unless I move them into a new home....

Nice looking fish there.

Jason, there are a lot of things to remember when you have little ones, and quite often we may forget to do something. all part of the learning curve. Don't beat yourself too hard.

Slowly and steadily and you will get the batches through.

Steve

Cool pic WW, yours are about 1/16" larger than mine and a week older or so. That's pretty good growth rate.

Steve, I'm still shocked that I got any to survive. I do beat myself up when I do something stupid, but only so I remember not to do it again. :D All in all, my excitment over the few successes FAR out-weighs any dissapointments.

Back