Cleaning dead live rock for new tank

Question;
I am soaking my rock in RO/DI water (second day) the water is testing zero for chlorine PPM does this mean I am ready for a saltwater soak and can scape it, put in my display for cycling?
I just want to make sure I am not making a giant mistake. I have worked way to long on this (literal) pile of rocks. :D

I have rock that has been dead for over a year. Do I need to do an acid bath still? There's no way anything is alive on it. So can I just put it right in the tank before I start my cycle?

I have rock that has been dead for over a year. Do I need to do an acid bath still? There's no way anything is alive on it. So can I just put it right in the tank before I start my cycle?

Even though the rock is dead,that just means theres things that mightve been hidden inside the rock that are dead and will start decomposing in your tank once its wet.

The point of the acid bath is so that the acid can eat the organic matter off the rock leaving it clean and ready for new life.

Man it was unbelievable the amount of dead junk that boiled out in the white vinegar bath. My rock had been dry for about 6 months. Worms, snails, crazy stuff, plus all the algae....so much algae. my rock actually weights less after the bath.

Cheers,
Tom

Man it was unbelievable the amount of dead junk that boiled out in the white vinegar bath. My rock had been dry for about 6 months. Worms, snails, crazy stuff, plus all the algae....so much algae. my rock actually weights less after the bath.

Cheers,

Tom

Good thing I came across this thread then haha.

Came across this...How long did you soak the old rock in the white vinegar solution? Any negatives (algae outbreak on old rock etc..)

Came across this...How long did you soak the old rock in the white vinegar solution? Any negatives (algae outbreak on old rock etc..)

If I remember correct I soaked it for a week give or take a day. I drained and changed water/vinegar multiple times. I scrubbed the rock before I started the process.
I have been running my DT for about 120 days now with great results. I had a normal cycle rate. I will be doing this anytime I use old rock it was simple and well worth the cost of vinegar.

Tom

If I remember correct I soaked it for a week give or take a day. I drained and changed water/vinegar multiple times. I scrubbed the rock before I started the process.
I have been running my DT for about 120 days now with great results. I had a normal cycle rate. I will be doing this anytime I use old rock it was simple and well worth the cost of vinegar.

Tom

what ratio of white vinagear to water,

I have been collecting dry rock from multiple sources for about 8 months.

My plan was to pressure wash it all first,
then do a vinigear and water bath with a powerhead.
Rinse and repeat if I need to.

one more pressure wash, before going in to water bath for a couple days.

Back