cleaning PH probe

scbasser5

I am sure this has been asked before, but search doesnt turn up anything.

What would be good to clean coraline algae off my ph probe?

Thanks

A lot of people use vinager, but I just started recently using hydrochloric acid. I noticed less frequency of cleaning is required with the latter.

I bought the Red Sea probe cleaning fluid (hydrochloric acid)
and the 450mv calibration fluid.

After a good soak and wipe, my probe reads 449 to 451.

Tells me my probe is still good. :D

Oops, brain cramp. But yes I started cleaning both my orp probe and my ph probe in the hydrochloric acid.

:)

Poolplaza.com has hydrochloric acid for $3. It's called muriatic acid, and they use it in pools and spas to reduce pH of water that is too basic. You should use a 5% dilution solution of HCl to soak your ORP electrode for about 10 minutes.

Lowes or any other hardware type store should carry it. I got a gallon of muratic acid from Lowes for like $5. Stuff is great for cleaning impellers but i have been hesitant about using it on ORP or PH probes, is that ok?

Hydrochloric acid is OK for both types of probes. I would not use mechanical cleaning or brushing of it unless it was absolutely necessary.

I also wouldn't trust chemistry articles posted by Albert Thiel. More often than not they are inaccurate.

What's the dilution for a 5% solution of the Muriatic acid from Lowes??

I don't want to let a chemistry slip with a $5 bottle of acid ruin a $50 probe!!

The exact dilution is unimportant, but dilution to 5% means 1 part acid to 19 parts water. Anything from 1 part acid to 5-25 parts fresh water is OK, IMO.

What is the concentration of the muriatic acid from Lowe's? Check the label. You need to know that first. It is not going to be 100%. Even concentrated laboratory grade hydrochloric acid is only 38%.

The stuff from hardware stores will be on the order 36-37% by weight HCl. If the intent is to get to 5% HCl, then the dilution is different than saying a "5% dilution". Nevertheless, the exact concentration is unimportant. :)

A word of caution when using HCL acid. The gas that comes out of it is very potent. Especially when dissolving calcium bits. Dont get any on your skin either , it will burn.

Do not directly inhale the gas. Best to do it outdoors.

I almost passed out from the strong gas when dissolving calcium deposits. :lol:

Back