Clogged Overflow Drain

eholceker

I have a 125 with dual overflows and I am assuming that a snail made its way down one of my pipes. The water level in the overflow on oneside is higher than it should be. The other overflow seems to be handling the increase of flow down it. I just noticed it this morning so I am not sure how long it has been like this. It does not appear to be in any danger of overflowing at this moment. Would you give it a few days to see if the snail can make its way into the sump or should I just redo the drain pipe?
Any tricks, tips, or ideas?

I have a 125 with dual overflows and I am assuming that a snail made its way down one of my pipes. The water level in the overflow on oneside is higher than it should be. The other overflow seems to be handling the increase of flow down it. I just noticed it this morning so I am not sure how long it has been like this. It does not appear to be in any danger of overflowing at this moment. Would you give it a few days to see if the snail can make its way into the sump or should I just redo the drain pipe?
Any tricks, tips, or ideas?

Once you're sure it's clear, I would add a strainer to the pipe. Is it a Durso?

http://www.marinedepot.com/Overflow...ainers-Plumbing_Parts-FT8344-FIFTSTSP-vi.html

I have a strainer except one part cracked so there is a little square opening. I was trying to find a replacement but I could not find a 1 1/4 strainer anywhere.

If it's a Durso, in a Megaflow overflow chamber, it may be able to slide up and down, which will change/adjust the water level in the overflow chamber. You might try adding a small zip tie around the strainer to see if that would help cover the unwanted opening.

i notice this sometimes if i get any kind of algae bloom and it starts to block my overflow teeth. i just clean off my teeth and it fixes it. i have never had a snail or anything but i use all clear hose so i can check for cloggs just by looking with a flash light and i just scrubb it out with a pipe cleaner every 4-6 months when i clean my sump if there is any growth within. i usually have almost none

The zip tie tie is a great idea. The clog is definitly in the piping and not in the teeth of the overflow box.

Using acid worked nicely for me:

Safety warning********** use rubber gloves, goggles, etc and never let acid come into contact with you*****!

I had an overflow that kept threatening to back up and overflow my tank. I got tired of constantly cleaning the basket only to have the clog re-occur a few weeks later.

I made up water for a water change and went down to home depot to buy Muriatic acid (12 M or 36% hydrochloric acid) from the pool section. I stopped my return pump and let the overflow drain as far as it could. I took the hose that goes from the overflow into my sump and put it in a bucket. I zip tied two ziplock bags around the hose inside the bucket it to make it semi-sealed. I poured the muriatic acid into the overflow and wow did it start bubbling. Go really slow, let it bubble a bit and when it subsides add some more. I went a bit too fast and there was a lot of fizzing. You want to minimize this so none of the acid gets into your display.

Make sure that this solution makes it into the inside of your overflow stand pipe by adding acid and freshwater until your bags/ bucket start filling. Once the bubbling has stopped, you've dissolved your clog. Carefully cut a hole in your ziplock bags with scissors (using gloves and keeping your face away!) Really carefully empty the bucket into a drain (if you have chrome in your sink that you like, it's best to first neutralize any remaining acid in the bucket with baking soda). Then, return the bucket under your overflow and start your water change by adding water to the overflow. Empty the bucket underneath a few times and you should have washed out all residual acid.

Not for the faint of heart, but my overflow looks and works like it's brand new.

Safety warning********** use rubber gloves, goggles, etc and never let acid come into contact with you*****!

I had an overflow that kept threatening to back up and overflow my tank. I got tired of constantly cleaning the basket only to have the clog re-occur a few weeks later.

I made up water for a water change and went down to home depot to buy Muriatic acid (12 M or 36% hydrochloric acid) from the pool section. I stopped my return pump and let the overflow drain as far as it could. I took the hose that goes from the overflow into my sump and put it in a bucket. I zip tied two ziplock bags around the hose inside the bucket it to make it semi-sealed. I poured the muriatic acid into the overflow and wow did it start bubbling. Go really slow, let it bubble a bit and when it subsides add some more. I went a bit too fast and there was a lot of fizzing. You want to minimize this so none of the acid gets into your display.

Make sure that this solution makes it into the inside of your overflow stand pipe by adding acid and freshwater until your bags/ bucket start filling. Once the bubbling has stopped, you've dissolved your clog. Carefully cut a hole in your ziplock bags with scissors (using gloves and keeping your face away!) Really carefully empty the bucket into a drain (if you have chrome in your sink that you like, it's best to first neutralize any remaining acid in the bucket with baking soda). Then, return the bucket under your overflow and start your water change by adding water to the overflow. Empty the bucket underneath a few times and you should have washed out all residual acid.

Not for the faint of heart, but my overflow looks and works like it's brand new.

I would be too scared and worried to try something like that indoors, with the tank running! one little slip up and it could be catastrophic! you are a brave soul lol
if you can get a flash light and look inside the pipe and see if you see anything.
I had a snail go inside my drain years ago which caused the same problem you are having. I could see it in there but it didnt want to come back out.
I cover the bottom portion of the drain and used a shop vac to pull it out. you need to create a proper seal and it will just get pulled up by the vac. snail was fine and went back into display and now all my drains have strainers on them :)
A lot of times it could also be algae like others mentioned. If you can make a black cover to block out the light going into the overflow that will help dramatically with its grown in the overflow.

Out of curiosity, what were you searching for that brought you to this thread, where you provided an answer instead of asking a further question? Lol it's over 4 years old....

Back