clown just died

Av619

just got him yesterday and he was kinda chillen on the bottom of the bag just resting kinda.... now today he is swimming around the top and acting like he is eating but he floats untill he is completely vertical... he is acting like he wants to carpet surf is what it seems like to me....now he died

should I replace sock filter??
do another water change?(I have some ammonia -.25ppm)
medicate with "quick cure"
let him just hang out in the tank and see what happens?<br /><br /> What size is your tank (gallons)?: 30<br /><br />How long has your tank been running?: 6 weeks<br /><br />What kind of lighting are you running (PC, T5, Metal Halide, etc.) and what is the wattage?: 4 t5 bulbs<br /><br />Water Salinity: 1.025<br /><br />Water Temperature: 80<br /><br />Nitrate Level: 5ppm<br /><br />Calcium Level (if applicable): 400<br /><br />Do you currently dose your tank with anything?: Yes<br /><br />If 'Yes' to above, what do you dose and how often?: purple up once a week<br /><br />What changes have you made to your tank recently (~1 month)?: water change friday<br />
wather change yesterday<br />
I have some ammonia from something and im trying to get it out.. i was also dosing prime but that was not helping too much....<br /><br />Please list the fish in your tank: tribal blenny and 2 true percs.... then several snails and hermits and an emerald<br /><br />

You shouldn't "dose" Prime. More like use it in case you have no other options and must reduce ammonia. Did you have ammonia when you put the fish in the tank? If so... why did you put it in the tank? If he died, how is he "just hanging out in the tank" and what are you going to watch happen?

I see you have 2 percs in the tank. Did you add a 3rd clownfish or is the fish in question included? If you added a 3rd, and gave it time where you weren't watching, perhaps the other two clowns bullied it? The ammonia issue is what concerns me the most.

You shouldn't "dose" Prime. More like use it in case you have no other options and must reduce ammonia. Did you have ammonia when you put the fish in the tank? If so... why did you put it in the tank? If he died, how is he "just hanging out in the tank" and what are you going to watch happen?

I see you have 2 percs in the tank. Did you add a 3rd clownfish or is the fish in question included? If you added a 3rd, and gave it time where you weren't watching, perhaps the other two clowns bullied it? The ammonia issue is what concerns me the most.
Yeah, you have to solve this ASAP. Never put more than 2 clowns into the same tank. Did your tank test "0" ammonia before you added anything? What are you using for a bio-filter, LR? A 30 is a small tank and you have to wait between additions. 5-6 fish in a 6 week old tank is too many, IMO. The bio-filter probably can't keep up yet. Patience!

no it was one of the 2 in the tank....

i wasnt really dosing prime... well i had been dosing for the weekend..(fri sat and sun)

i had ammonia last week at .50ppm then i got it down to .25 with my first water change on friday then yesterday I did another water change...

he does not look picked on at all

and by hanging out he was in the bag at the bottom breathing hard and moving fins... then in the tank he was swimming last nigh when I added him then today i woke up and he was swimming at the top acting like he was eating invisible food...i thought there was a chance he was starving so i added some food and he did not eat any!!!

i have a total of 2 fish in the tank now.... im trying to add really slow but its hard to wait so i got my tribal blenny 2 weeks ago then he was doing good so i got 2 really small true percs... the one died this morning...

filter is overflow into a sock filter that has been in there just over a week i think but is looking pretty dirty... then the water goes through a skimmer
then over the baffle into a 6 gallon refuge with cheato and a small piece of halmidia that is not doing its best.. then return

working on getting a video up..

do NOT add another fish until the ammonia reads 0. Your biological filter must catch up to its current load before you can think about adding another. Ammonia is toxic to fish. The bacteria that are building in the tank will process it to nitrite, then denitrifying bacteria will process it to nitrate. As long as this process is occurring, your fish will be ok. In your situation, the bacteria can't process it fast enough. It sounds like you're trying to compensate by water changes and Prime. This is a bad strategy in the long run.

I know man i just dont understand why out of no where i had ammonia for a few days... I did not nothing that whole week and I got ammonia ... my other fish dont mind.. i dont know where it came from...
006-3.jpg

002-4.jpg

VIDEO
http://s26.photobucket.com/albums/c150/EV9202/?action=view&current=001-6.mp4

Back