Clown trigger againg

rudyistaken

I am feeling bad for this guy since I moved him to the furnace room in his 108.

How long would a 5 inch clown trigger be o.k. in a 4 foot 90 gallon due to office tank size restrictions?

The tank right now has well over 100 lbs of live rock and a super skimmer 220 and 2 seio 1500s. I would plan to move all to the 90. I change 10% religiously per week.

I have read that many do not get over 10 inches in captivity so is there a chance I can keep this guy for a while.

IMO a 5" CT really should not be put in a 4' tank. It's not just their size but also their swimming characteristics. They require room to swim and cruise the tank. In a 90 this CT would get very aggressive and over time it just wouldn't do well. But to answer your question I've found that once a CT gets to around 5-6" the growth rate slows quite a bit and if placed in a 90 I very much doubt it would even grow an inch a year.

Dave

i would say you could keep it in there. i have had my CT for about a year now, and from what i have noticed watching mine, and others at LFS's and in other tanks, is that they are not quick flashy swimmers, they swim slowly. they lurk around. but yeah i would say it would be ok in a 90 for awhile.

Re: Clown trigger againg

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6511254#post6511254 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rudyistaken
I am feeling bad for this guy since I moved him to the furnace room in his 108.

How long would a 5 inch clown trigger be o.k. in a 4 foot 90 gallon due to office tank size restrictions?

The tank right now has well over 100 lbs of live rock and a super skimmer 220 and 2 seio 1500s. I would plan to move all to the 90. I change 10% religiously per week.

I have read that many do not get over 10 inches in captivity so is there a chance I can keep this guy for a while.

They often don't get over 10" in captivity because they stress out and die in smaller tanks than they should be in. They'll get 12-15" at least, if properly cared for. They go up to 20" in the wild.

Here's my story, my latest clown trigger got to 8" and I traded him to a bigger tank so he could have more room. I could see him cruising the tank from one end to the other, and that was a 6 ft. tank. He didn't need more room at 8", but he would have in another year or two, so I bit the bullet and gave him up for his own good. It bummed me out, but it was the right thing to do. An adult clown trigger should be in an 8 ft. tank, IMO. So a 240 or bigger.

Now you can keep the 5" clown FOR A WHILE in a 90g, but within a year you should get a 6 ft. tank, and in another 3-4 years he should be in an 8 ft. tank. I know other will disagree, but I am a strong believer in giving fish a lot of room so that they can live a more tolerable life.

If you can't see getting a really big tank, get a picasso trigger. They max out at only 9-10", so a 150-180g will be all you eventually need, and they grow slower than clown triggers. A big picasso is a beautiful fish, and has a fantastic personality, even better than most clown triggers.

Good luck! :)

Back