Clownfish & a Blue Hippo Tang

SaltwaterHokie

Hey guys I have my new DT tank currently cycling. I am planning on buying two clownfish today to put into quarantine for a month while the DT is cycling. While I was at Petco I noticed a Blue Hippo Tang that appears to have Ich. I feel bad for it and since I am going to be quarantining the clownfish at the same time any reason I couldn't go ahead and buy this little guy? He is about an Inch or so long so just a little baby.

I wasn't sure if adding a tang early to my tank would have any issues adding tangs later on?

I also wasn't sure if adding 3 fish to the new tank at 1 time would be overload?

The 75 gallon tank was started with Fritz Turbo Start and will be able to cycle for a full month before these fish make it into the tank.

Petco is a guarantee of having ich. Even if it is not showing signs yet, they do not put copper in the tank water. If i was you id instead shop for fish at a LFS that caters more to folks that have reef tanks not just fish & one that medicates the fish in QT for a min 2 weeks before selling to public, that way you are getting fish that are disease & pest free, eating, & not stressed by not just being introduced that day or week.

Am wondering is the 75 gal a tall or long tank as Tangs need swimming room especially when grown or end up stressed and they are World renown for getting stressed easily & contracting ich later on or often when placed in a immature tank that is tall and not wide etc.

Far as bio overload that depends on the bacteria you have established & how you established it. Fish add ammonia constantly so if you are adding ammonia daily while cycling then yes the bacteria load will be high but if just cycling naturally or by just adding Fritz turbo bacteria alone then no.... the bacteria load will be low due to no ammonia to feed & grow on. If you start adding ammonia daily & keep raising the amount for a few weeks then your tank will easily handle several fish at one time.

I can tell you clowns are tough due to being in the damsel family but, a tang is probably the absolute worst choice for a immature tank as there is. May want to do some research on Tangs, then decide about one after you read what they need such as a mature long tank. I realize its probably a good price at Petco & the idea to rescue it but buyer beware without research, especially from that local.

The clowns would be fine tho id do a 1 month QT first if from Petco with copper if i was you so you do not introduce ich to the new tank, but your call ( even if from Petco they have a thick slime) as a start then id teat the water for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates a few days later to see IF all cycling is truly done, a month is pushing a full cycle with a large pop of bacteria established that will handle a new bioload on an empty tank. If tests read all clear after a week with the clowns then you can safely add 1 fish a month, that will allow the bacteria to grow & catch up with the bioload.

One thing ill add is be sure to research what fish gets along with what other fish & who needs to be introduced first, the aggressive ones need to be added last otherwise they get aggressive & think the whole tank is their domain usually.

No, no, no and many more noes. Pity-buys often end up costing you the tank. Let the store take care of it.

Leave it for the store or a buyer who has the facilities for rehab. The store may pull him back to a treatment tank.

I ran into the same issue when I went into a sketchy local fish store and saw a damselfish that had both eyes missing. I felt really bad for it and just wanted to get it for the 1 dollar they were asking for. In the end I figured the chance of introducing some crazy disease for 1 dollar is not worth risking hundreds of dollars in livestock.

Back