Clownfish eating eggs

Fish Keeper82

Well after having this pair from very small they finally laid eggs today but they ended up eating them. Is this normal for first spawns?

Well after having this pair from very small they finally laid eggs today but they ended up eating them. Is this normal for first spawns?

I have not had any eat the eggs because I separate them when the eyes go silver.

Eat their babies, yup, it's a fish eat fish world.

Wow, clownfish are usually great parents and spend a lot of time looking after the eggs, at least to hatch time. Laid and eaten I seen all the time as they will pick out deficient/damaged eggs, but this may be a dozen or so out of 200-300 during the entire larval stage.

Perhaps they detected and abnormality being the first and nothing goes to waste in the reef.
More soon.....interesting

Wow, clownfish are usually great parents and spend a lot of time looking after the eggs, at least to hatch time. Laid and eaten I seen all the time as they will pick out deficient/damaged eggs, but this may be a dozen or so out of 200-300 during the entire larval stage.

Perhaps they detected and abnormality being the first and nothing goes to waste in the reef.
More soon.....interesting

In chatting with a friend who breeds clowns, very normal to eat a first clutch.

Not always, just no surprise...

how long have you had the pair? around what size are they ? I am super interested in trying to breed clownfish!

Back