Clownfish emergency

mc12301

Hi all -

I think my 8-year old clown is possibly on his last breaths right now and I am looking to see if there's anything I can do.

A few days ago, I noticed he was swimming on his side frequently. He'd just float around a lot but then he'd still get active. He'd start chasing other fish out of his territory and he'd still eat immediately, so I didn't worry too much.

Today, I came home from work and he was losing color. Laying on his side on the rocks. Not eating. He also has some micro bubbles attached to him. He isn't dead because when I move something in the tank near him he'll perk up and swim around for a few seconds then go back to laying down.

Is there anything I can do at this point? Does it sound like a sickness? Just old age?

Will post water params in a minute but I'm pretty positive everything is fine.

1.026 sal
.25 ppm ammonia
0 nitrites
999nitrates
8.4 ph

Surprised by the ammonia. Maybe I had a mini cycle last water change? No other fish or inverts seem affected, though.

Should I quarantine? Any tips?

that ammonia number could be the problem if that reading is correct. the high pH makes it worse. I’m not sure I believe the ammonia reading in an established tank. So I would retest.

And are nitrates really 999 ppm? I don’t think test kits go that high.

I recommend a significant water change and if you have any water conditioner like Prime, adding that.

Any new additions to the tank, and if so were they quarantined?

At 8years, it is not old age. Clowns routinely live to 20+ in aquariums.

I hope he pulls through.

that ammonia number could be the problem if that reading is correct. the high pH makes it worse. I'm not sure I believe the ammonia reading in an established tank. So I would retest.

And are nitrates really 999 ppm? I don't think test kits go that high.

I recommend a significant water change and if you have any water conditioner like Prime, adding that.

Any new additions to the tank, and if so were they quarantined?

At 8years, it is not old age. Clowns routinely live to 20+ in aquariums.

I hope he pulls through.

Woops. Hit the wrong key on nitrates. 0 ppm not 999 lol. Maybe a notch higher than 0 but not by much.

Haven't added anything to the tank in almost a year. Should I quarantine?

Yes, QT, lower salinity to 1.020 so he can breath easier.
Water change every two days to keep ammonia at 0.
Since we cannot diagnos, hard to treat effectively.

Back