Clownfish Help

lg2725

Hey all. I have had my clownfish for 3 months now. They went through TTM and were Qt'd for 5 weeks. They have been in DT (cycled back in August) since 11/7/16 . No new fish/coral/inverts, etc added since. All fish have been doing great until yesterday. I noticed my male Osc clown staying near the bottom of tank and has not eaten the last 2 days. Looks like his mouth is agape and is usually always with the female but not since yesterday. Also slept solo for the 1st time in all of the days I have had them. I have not seen any spots/slimy coat or anything visual on skin giving me the thought that he is ill. I just moved him into a 10 gallon tank to keep a better eye on him. Other fish in tank are Female Osc Clown, 2 purple firefish and 1 bicolor dottyback. Inverts are 1 blood red shrimp, 1 cleaner shrimp and 1 peppermint shrimp. Any thoughts? Should I sit back and continue to observe or should I do a Formalin bath for 45 minutes in case of Brooklynella? If so, how many ML per gallon? I have Formalin MS and can use a 5 gallon bucket w/airstone. I went through a bit of cyano bloom so I added an airstone yesterday as I have been told that Cyano can deplete oxygen levels. Tank info below:
120 gal w/75 gal sump/fuge
Temp 77.1
SG 52.7 ms
PH 8.14
Ammonia 0
Nitrate close to 0
My paramaters are from my Profilux controller so that is why some numbers are specific. I also used Red Sea test kit for Nitrate and ammonia and calibrated refractometer to double-check the salinity. Thanks for any help in advance.
Regards,
Ron

the female may have been chasing the male,displaying signs of the female wanting to begin courtship,and breeding.I experienced this behaviour every year with my Tomato Clowns,where the female would start attacking the male ,damaging fins and scarring him pretty badly.He had to be separated during these times or she would have killed him.They would be fine all year until,breeding season.Make sure he has somewhere to hide,and keep him removed him until he is well,again.I never used anything to treat the wounds on the male,and he always bounced back.
Your situation may have nothing to do with what I have suggested,however,that is what was happening in my aquarium.My female was almost 4 inches,and was very territorial.If I didn't wear rubber gloves when servicing the inside of my aquarium,she would repeatedly bite my hands and draw blood.It seemed to get more aggressive with every passing year.

Last edited:
Just got back home and he seems to have lost color when I turned the lights on then after awhile he regained it. 15 minutes later, he seems to lose it again. Not shiny or silky on the skin but just dull. Found him gasping even more now.

I saw zero aggression for all the weeks I have had them. She showed dominance but was mostly a follower. The male clown did not make it. Died 3 days after symptoms started. No other fish showing any signs of anything different.

Back