Cobweb algae?

JoshHarpst

I came home this weekend only to find that all over my live rock and corals had this redish brown cobweb looking stuff growing all over. I dont know how this stuff began to grow and the only thing i can come up with is that my anemone was spitting out it's insides so i flushed it, but not until i was 100% sure it was all dead. I can't get a pic up yet, but hopefully by 2morrow i will. Anyone else had this happen before or know what's going on? THanks in advance.

~Josh

Sounds like it could be an outbreak of cyanobac. It can web or matt across the sand and rock work. It usually occurs when water quality is not up to par.....your anemone's death may have triggered it. Water changes....fresh GAC, and also check your lighting (how long since you've changed bulbs?) Spectral shifts in your lighting over time (9 months to a year) can help fuel the fire. You may need to resort to the use of an antibiotic product such as Red Slime Remover, but I would strongly recommend that you try the water changes and other mentioned adjustments first.

Are you using RO DI water for water changes? I have had occasional outbreaks of this in slower flow areas of the tank.
Syphon it out when you do your water changes. Make sure your Alk is where it should be ( Anthony Calfo recommends slightly higher Alk level at arond 10 DKH). Yes it can be a major pain in the butt.

Back