Come And Meet Anthony Calfo In St. Augustine!

This was a great meeting. Anthony Calfo is a very good speaker, the talk was interesting and entertaining, and even inspiring! Thanks to NFMAS and Mr. Calfo!

Sounds like a missed a great meeting! I got some feedback that Anthony mentioned that hyposalinity was no longer considered a viable option for ich treatment. Any more info on that or what he suggested? I know a lot of hobbyists use and suggest hypo...just wondering what his views were. Marcye

Thank you Anthony. Everyone as always loved your talk!
Although we didn't get a chance to hang out this time; I must say after the last two MACNA's you have to let me buy the drinks next time.
Keep warm.
Yours truely Geddy Lee.

We went to the meeting & do not remember him mentioning anything about hypo. I am thinking he might of answered a one on one question. If anyone knows the answer please let us know, as I do have a wrasse in hypo now.

The discussion with Anthony about hyposalinity not really being an effective way to treat ich was not part of his formal presentation at Jacksonville, but was a part a discussion between several reefkeepers and Anthony at the meeting.

To learn more, check out wetwebmedia.com. He discusses this topic in detail there, along with Bob Fenner. That's where Anthony is now posting.

The reason I asked is there are mentions by Bob Fenner of Hypo being an option on Wet Web Media, which leads to confusion. Here's a quote from Fenner on the site regarding disease control on dragonets:

"Disease:

Dragonets are notably slimy fishes that are not as susceptible to external parasite infestations as other fishes. However, they are not immune, and are overly sensitive to copper compounds, other metal-based and formalin containing medications. They are best treated through environmental manipulation (hyposalinity, elevated temperature) should they show signs of such afflictions."

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/mandarins.htm

So, I was wondering if there some changes in the views on this from Anthony's viewpoint. The more info the better!

I've also read articles by Steven Pro, who also posts on WWW, that hypo in his opinion is a good choice for treatment. Here is a quote, also from WWW:

"Hyposalinity
Hello, crew! Enjoying your information and contributions more than ever. Perhaps you can clear something up for me, what is the appropriate salinity and time period for hyposalinity treatment in a fish-only quarantine tank?

[Steven Pro] "Here is an excerpt from an article I am working on along with a few references for additional information:
Low salinity has been demonstrated to be an effective treatment against Cryptocaryon. A salt level of 14-15 ppt or 1.010-1.011 specific gravity for 7-10 days has been reported to kill the parasite. Most fish will tolerate being transferred to a low salinity tank without special acclimation procedures. The low salinity water should match the temperature and pH, though. After treatment, the fish need to be slowly acclimated back to full-strength seawater. Increasing the specific gravity 0.001 per day should be slow enough.
The drawbacks to this treatment are the same for many of the treatment options discussed above. Invertebrates and certain fish will not be able to tolerate it. Sharks and Rays are two fish groups that are not safe for this procedure. I would also not recommend this approach in the presence of liverock or livesand. The Hyposalinity will likely kill the worms, crustaceans, mollusks, and other life, causing a severe drop in overall water quality.
Kollman, Rand. 1998. “Low Salinity as Quarantine and Treatment of Marine Fish Parasites” SeaScope, Volume 15, Spring 1998.

Also, I seem to remember that Ich can be present (and actively affecting a host) while the spots do not actually appear on the fish. True?

[Steven Pro] Yes, it is not uncommon for Ich to begin in the gills, but there are signs/rapid breathing.

Thanks very much! Travis

"You are welcome. -Steven Pro"

There's just a lot of conflicting info, even on the same website and from many of the "pros" in the field, so I thought maybe Anthony shared some current insight that may be beneficial to hobbyists to make the controversy on subject a bit clearer.

Back