coming back and planning a large tank

TekCat

I am not sure if this is the right place to post this question, if not then I apologize...

After a year and a half break from the hobby I have decided to come back! This time around I have space for an 8' long tank. So, I was thinking something around 300G - 400G one. Since it is going to be an in-wall setup I really need only one side viewable (prolly starfire glass).. the rest could be anything, PVC, acrylic, whatever is cost effective. So, a couple of questions:

1. Is a hybrid tank cheaper than all around glass one?
2. Who makes such tanks?

Thanks!

most hybrid that are build usually are DIY. if you go into the DIY section there is a bunch of people showing you plywood build tanks.
There are companies out there that do just the bottom out of pvc but they are charging extra for the process.
What are you skills and what are you willing to pay for?
Look into craigslist/ebay for used tanks as well

Thanks! I have never built a tank before, so I'd rather have someone doing it :) my goal here is not to have a hybrid tank per se, but I thought that could be cheaper: PVC for sides and bottom (except the front one) must be cheaper than the glass... and lighter, so there could be some savings in shipment charges.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15631522#post15631522 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by TekCat
Thanks! I have never built a tank before, so I'd rather have someone doing it :) my goal here is not to have a hybrid tank per se, but I thought that could be cheaper: PVC for sides and bottom (except the front one) must be cheaper than the glass... and lighter, so there could be some savings in shipment charges.

Acrylic is the lightest. However, I wouldn't base your decisions on decreasing shipping weight. A tank that size is going to cost a lot for shipping regardless. Items that big get charged more for size than weight. Using lighter weight material might save a few dollars (very few) in shipping but will probably cost you more to build.

Probably you would want to go with all glass, but just starphire for the front panel. You're already saving money that way. Most people using glass for in-wall builds do this.

By the way, your avatar is still awesome!!

Re: coming back and planning a large tank

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15631352#post15631352 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by TekCat

2. Who makes such tanks?

Thanks!

I'm looking at A.G.E. to make my next tank. They are the only ones I know of that will make a tank with a combination of PVC bottom, starphire/regular glass, and acrylic overflows/bracing. Appearently they have some sort of top secret bonding process. There tank are stellar. I think the best available (Someone tell me who compares... I'd like to know). However, with A.G.E. you'll pay big $$.

All good points! my LFS had requested a quote from AGE.... Of course all glass around is my fall back plan if the hybrid tank would be too expensive. Thanks for all your info! :)

The cost of the tank is minor compared to all the equipment and live stock you will need to go with it. You might want to start a list of what that will cost too before you jump in.

Good luck with your project.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15675611#post15675611 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mike660r
The cost of the tank is minor compared to all the equipment and live stock you will need to go with it. You might want to start a list of what that will cost too before you jump in.

Wow, that's the truth... :eek:

If the OP wants to see a hybrid tank from AGE, click on the red house above.

The final cost of the AGE tanks depends a lot on the mark-up added by the LFS who orders it for you, plus freight to ship to your location. Those are big variables. From local experience, some LFS will order a custom tank on a very low (or no) markup, knowing that you will be a good customer for all those other things that we reefers buy ad infinitum...

LL

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15675611#post15675611 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mike660r

If he's coming back into the hobby he may have a clue...but, based on most builds in this forum here's my 2c.
TekCat, to be realistic:
If you can't budget 10K+ on a 400G+ reef you're likely to be cutting corners and/or buying used.

Lightsluvr, you have a very cool tank!!!!!!! I am sooo jealous :) I am still waiting for LFS yet to give me a quote...

Discustopia, Yes I know it is going to be a bottomless pit... Unfortunately I (like most of use) dont print money :)

... I am just looking around, comparing prices, compiling a list of things I need (want). Right now the biggest unknown is an 8' tank I need. If I were a handy man, I'd build it out of plywood... but that's not the case with me... :) wish me luck :)

Back