Coming back to reefing after 4 yrs with a 20gal aio from Waterbox

This build will take a bit but going to be patient this time. I have most of the equipment from my old set up before I moved. Started the process a couple weeks ago. Here is the first step I took. Cleaning the old rock. This was my first time doing an acid bath on rock. Thanks to some great instructions from a fellow reefer, it all went pretty well. First pic is before second is after.

Attachments

• IMG_0260.jpeg
    IMG_0260.jpeg
    199.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0262.jpeg
    IMG_0262.jpeg
    813.6 KB · Views: 6
Looks great! Are you planning on buying any live or running only dry rock? Just curious
Not sure yet. Was thinking just dry but not sure if I could get some rock of an established tank or not. I think ideally I would want to. But looking forward to getting my seneye up and running to watch the actual cycle.

Planned equipment for my nano reef
WB aquarium has return pump so set there
Light: ecotech g4 radon xr15pro (from old tank)
Powerhead: mp10 (from old tank)
Heater: not sure what I have. Open to suggestions
Filter media: TBD. Some people say socks from wb slow flow and middle chamber empties. Maybe poly pads
Salt Tropic Marin. (1/2 bucket left from old tank)
Rodi system 6 stages from old system.

Anything I am missing?

Going to build my own stand.

Planned equipment for my nano reef
WB aquarium has return pump so set there
Light: ecotech g4 radon xr15pro (from old tank)
Powerhead: mp10 (from old tank)
Heater: not sure what I have. Open to suggestions
Filter media: TBD. Some people say socks from wb slow flow and middle chamber empties. Maybe poly pads
Salt Tropic Marin. (1/2 bucket left from old tank)
Rodi system 6 stages from old system.

Anything I am missing?

Going to build my own stand.
Sounds like you're good. I tend to use titanium heaters as I've had seal fail and glass break on glass heaters over the years.

I think you'd be really happy adding some live rock for the bio-diversity. While true Fiji, Tonga, Marshall Island, etc live rock is no longer available, there are some really good aquacultured live rock vendors out there... Tampa Bay Saltwater, KP Aquatics, Gulf Live Rock and Salty Bottom Reef Company to name a few.

There is Australian rock but it is expensive. Very much like the old rock we used to get.

Walt is also shipping his aquacultured rock again..

I have seen some of the Tampabay saltwater rock and it has more life than anything I have ever seen.
I heard they also dumped a bunch of Walt dry rock and will be coming soon.
@liverock

Live rock is making a slow comeback and we are starting to see rock from other places again.

Last edited:
There is Australian rock but it is expensive. Very much like the old rock we used to get.

Walt is also shipping his aquacultured rock again..

I have seen some of the Tampabay saltwater rock and it has more life than anything I have ever seen.
I heard they also dumped a bunch of Walt dry rock and will be coming soon.
@liverock

Live rock is making a slow comeback and we are starting to see rock from other places again.
I didn't mention the Australian because of the cost (eta - last I saw, $25/lb). But, from the pictures I've seen, it is very nice rock. Reminded my of the Marshall Island rock I got from Premium Aquatics back in the day.

Back in 2017 when I set up my current tank, I used KP Aquatics rock because (originally) I intended the tank to be a Caribbean biotope, so I wanted Florida Keys rock. It was (and still is) some of the nicest live rock I've seen since Pacific rock disappeared from the market. The tank has since evolved into a mix (Caribbean/Indo-Pacific) since I couldn't keep myself away from Acros :ROFLMAO:

When I finally (if ever;)) get around to my upgrade, I want to get some rock from the Gulf to add diversity and Tampa Bay is definitely on the top of my list.

Back