Considering NOT setting up my new tank... Thoughts?

As some of you know I sold my 90 and upgraded to an 8 foot 310 gallon. I have just about every piece of equipment I need to get it going. Really all that's left is to just skin the stand and make a canopy. It's all dry plumbed and sitting in my garage. I just can't get motivated to fill it up. I'm looking at it and saying to myself, "If I set you up, I'm basically asking you to marry me and frankly with a 3 year old son I don't know if I want to make the commitment." I'm also looking at this from a scuba diving and travel perspective. Diving has become a serious passion of mine as I'm attempting to dive nearly once a week. The amount of money I'm going to consistently throw toward this tank will easily pay for all of my diving locally or dive trips around the world. Aside from the cost, there's the issue of traveling and who's going to maintain the tank for 1-2 week long trips. Not to mention, if I'm diving, I'm already getting to see the beauty of our worlds reefs. I don't know what to do. Anyone been in my shoes? Have any thoughts or suggestions?

You can wait as long as you need, don't give up on your dream and if your dream has changed you can still hang on to everything for as long as it tables to rekindle the idea

When I lost most of my stock in my 3-tank display system to an oodinium outbreak I thought about hanging it up. Then I decided to replace that system with a 125g to do something different. As I looked at the new 125 sitting on my stand, I kept wondering if I wanted to add more time and costs to the upkeep of our other tanks and pets. So I really switched it up and set it up as a low tech planted freshwater tank and I am loving it. So simple and so little care necessary compared to a reef. Of course, I still have my clown pairs to scratch that reef itch.
My point is at least consider setting your system up as a freshwater tank if that interests you at all. It will minimize costs, time, and commitment, and yet still give you sone pleasure while getting use out of your tank. You won't have to sell all your equipment, and if you want a reef at a later date, you just swap it over with only swapping some equipment.

I could just go FOWLR for a while, but we all know that doesn't last long. lol

I appreciate the feed back. I'm going to think about it more. I could hold onto the tank indefinitely. I hate seeing all the other equipment sit there and collect dust and if I do decide to sell, then all of that equipment is not the latest and greatest and I'll take a bigger hit. I could always just re-purchase new equipment... Buying a big custom tank is another story though. Took a lot to pull the trigger on this one.

We'll see I guess. Either a build thread or for sale thread.

Well you could do a fowler using all of your current equipment and all reef safe fish just in case. And then we will all promise not to give you any frags. ;-)

Yes, I promise not to give you any frags........ your friend, Hillary :lmao::dance:

LOL... Things I trust more than Hilliary...

Mike, claiming he won't give me frags,
Angelfish with clams,
No quarantine,
Acro eating flat worms and
Playing Russian Roulette with a semi-auto pistol.

It's all my fault...

It's all my fault...

As I took Cuzza out on his first dive ever in the Gulf.....was a 'zero' vis day...but he did it....now you can't keep him out of the water...is a new addiction for him....I remember when I was in his fins 45 years ago....description of "fun" changes as we encounter new frontiers......lol...

Richard TBS
www.tbsaltwater.com

As I took Cuzza out on his first dive ever in the Gulf.....was a 'zero' vis day...but he did it....now you can't keep him out of the water...is a new addiction for him....I remember when I was in his fins 45 years ago....description of "fun" changes as we encounter new frontiers......lol...

Richard TBS
www.tbsaltwater.com

This is true. I'm grateful to you for opening up a new world for me.... or should I say, "Way of life."

When are we diving again? How's the viz been on your site? We've had an average of ~15ft. in 50-60 fsw the past month.

Last edited:
Back