Constant GFCI tripping due to Tek ballast??

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8089016#post8089016 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jdieck
Just insure that the wire gauge from the outlet to the main and the breaker in the main can take the load.

Yerp. I don't have a huge load, but in any setup you want to make sure the circuit can handle the total load that is hooked up. I have heard the rule of thumb is to aim for no more than 80% of the rating for the circuit -- so for a standard 15A circuit, you don't really want more than 12A on the circuit. I'm no expert, though -- just what I have heard.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8089071#post8089071 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by techreef
crumbletop, re: your power bleed note for Tek ballasts, what if I'm running my 2-bulb Tek ballast with a 4-bulb IceCap 660 ballast? (which is my setup) Would you say that fits your "sizable missmatch between current in and current out, thus tripping the GFI." scenario? Or did you mean if I was running more than one Tek ballast, it would be a problem?

The RFI circuit "bleeding" of current also apparently has temporary spikes in the amount of current that is bled. I think you would be more likely to experience problems with both the IC ballast _and_ the Triad ballast if they are turned on simultaneously. It sounds like you are having issues _only_ with that single ballast, though (i.e., nothing else is on). In that case it would seem you either have a faulty GFI, or a faulty ballast.

well, i'm not turning everything (or even two things at once) on at the same time. but my RKII is controlling lots of devices: 2 150W heaters, my AquaBee skimmer pump, Mag7 return pump, the Triad (Tek) ballast, the IC 660 ballast, and a Sequence Marlin pump for my closed loop. i only seem to have a problem once the two ballasts have been fired up, (with everything else but the heaters running already) so maybe i am exceeding the amperage rating for the GFCI. but my lights never turn on at the same time. I have a 2 hour dawn setting where the Triad ballast is on, after which the 660 powers up for noon-level lighting in conjunction w/ the 2 actinic lights powered by the Triad ballast. Looks like I need to go add up amps tonight...

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8090510#post8090510 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by techreef
well, i'm not turning everything (or even two things at once) on at the same time. but my RKII is controlling lots of devices: 2 150W heaters, my AquaBee skimmer pump, Mag7 return pump, the Triad (Tek) ballast, the IC 660 ballast, and a Sequence Marlin pump for my closed loop. i only seem to have a problem once the two ballasts have been fired up, (with everything else but the heaters running already) so maybe i am exceeding the amperage rating for the GFCI. but my lights never turn on at the same time. I have a 2 hour dawn setting where the Triad ballast is on, after which the 660 powers up for noon-level lighting in conjunction w/ the 2 actinic lights powered by the Triad ballast. Looks like I need to go add up amps tonight...

It seems well loaded up. What is your total wattage / HP ?
My best guess is that the load coupled to a GFCI that has tripped several times turning it more sensitive might be the issue.

Back