Controlling moisture in a small house?

yellowtruck75

I am having moisture problems in my small, older home. My tank is a 120 gallon with a 40 gallon sump in the basement. All my tools in the basement are either rusting or getting surface rust on them. I also notice condensation on the windows, mostly during the warmer months (Central PA). Any ideas for ways to control moisture in a smaller old home?

Thanks
YT

Open your windows.

We have the same problem almost all year here in Oregon. I was resistant to the window thing at first but it does really work. Short of exhaust fans it's the best anwser.

They don't have to be wide open, just a crack. They even sell window locks at Home Dept so you can crack the window but still have it locked.

It really helped us out a lot. I have 3 tanks in an 800 sq foot apartment so I'm with ya.

Sounds great I will check out the window locks. I already have a dehumidifier but its real old and not very efficient, I will have to get a new one.

Thanks

I bought a small Hair floor unit. It's 10,000 btu and will be vented to the outside. The unit cools and dehumidifies. Something like this might suite your needs.

I went with a dehumidifier in my basement, but it couldn't keep up and was adding alot of heat to the basement. I have since put in an exhaust fan in the basement which exhausts the air outside. This has helped my situation alot.

Are there any options I'm overlooking for an apartment? I can't leave the windows open in the summer because I need the AC on to keep the tank cool. I had a dehumidifier that was pulling a few gallons a day, but it was adding way too much heat to the apartment as well (and was loud).

i used to have exactly the same situation (old house, same exact tank/sump volumes, tools rusting...). in the winter, my steam furnace keeps the whole house very dry, but in the summer...

last summer, i put high velocity central air into the rest of the house, and that solved the problem. when it's really humid in the basement, i'll run a simple box fan on low. that keeps the water in the air, and once it's in the air relative humidity means as the water is taken from the air in the rest of the house by the AC, the water in the air in the basement ends up in the air in the rest of the house and the AC does the work. the HVAC guy made that argument when we were discussing whether or not to put drops into the basement for humidity remediation, and the man was 100% correct.

if it's a good year for cheetos, consider investing in a high velocity central air system, it's perfect for an older small home. one heat exchange unit and one compressor handle my entire three story twin very nicely. good for your tank, and good for you.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12878789#post12878789 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by LobsterOfJustice
Are there any options I'm overlooking for an apartment? I can't leave the windows open in the summer because I need the AC on to keep the tank cool. I had a dehumidifier that was pulling a few gallons a day, but it was adding way too much heat to the apartment as well (and was loud).

LOJ, try a window AC, even if the apartment has central air. you can use it as basically a dehumidifier with the compressor outside.

Have the same problem in the basement of same type of house, only slightly to the north.

What didn't work:
1. Opening windows. Only half of the window could be open, sliding windows. Casement windows, opening inside and allowing to use all the window opening, are not available - either prohibited, or just not manufactured.
Half of window open doesn't help, even if windows on the opposite sides of the house are open. In addition, the front window has to be closed for the night, for the security reasons. In winter, needless to say, all windows has to be closed.

2. Dehumidifier. Pulls water from the air very well, but is noisy and heats the room to the unacceptable temperature in the summer. Maybe combination dehumidifier + chiller will work, But I had seen $600 or something room air conditioners with dehumidifier, this is cheaper, but too late for me.

Sorry, not much help, I'm in the same situation.

Well if it is a good enough year for Cheetos I am installing a new furnace this winter and hopefully by next spring time will have enough to install the cetral air unit

yeah really we should all go on a mission to help yellowtruck upgrade. i'll get a bag.

too bad you don't work for the guys that make slimjims.

HAHA thanks for the effort guys, we make lots of snack so lets all go out and buy some snack food to better my fish's lives. :)

Thanks for the help I will start with a new dehumidifier

Back