Coquina clam question

I am not sure about it, I would think it should be OK...Maybe email Steve M. he probally knows the answer, but have not seen him here for awhile.....

I highley doubt someone is going to stop you for taking some as long as you don't make it a big deal (i.e. start a business selling them :) )

I don't think that its any worse than collecting sand fleas. They make good food.

Nathan

No, not for me! The fish!

I was feeding them to my mantis shrimp.

When my sister was visiting her boys brought me a whole cup of coquinas from the beach for my reef tanks :rolleyes: . Since they can't survive long in our tanks I euthanized them by freezing them.

Out of curiosity I dropped a few in one tank and everything likes to eat them. Once they've been frozen and thawed the shells pop open so fish can get at them. Shrimp and starfish are also very fond of coquinas.

Funny this got mentioned.

I had some time off at the beginning of the month and for yuks went down to N Shell and collected up some sand a hand full of Gracilera(sp?) and a piece of rock with some hair algae and tossed it in a ten gallon tank. Its lit with only one HD shop light of 45 watts and not even a heater so temp is fluxing quite a bit and water movement is provided by just an air pump. There was a touch of ammonia in it for a couple of days but after that this tiny little chunk of N. Shell maintains solid levels.

Naturally a few couquina got collected up with the sand and almost 4 weeks later are alive and well along with a lot of other unidentifieds. I have only once tossed in a few frozen mysis that were left over from feeding my reef tank.

This thing probably has more in common with a bait bucket than an aquarium but I will have to admint its interesting to see whats going on in it.

I would love to replace my calerpa with the gracilara I collected but naturally am quite hesitant to introduce any thing from new pass into my system.

In reality I am not even 100 percent sure what the plant even is.

Did you ever have any luck with your goby eating it? I dropped one in the tank, and the goby took it back to its spot, so i wasnt able to see if it ate it or not.

We went out last night, and only got three of them. There were a bunch that were not digging back into the ground, so i figured it wasnt a good idea to get those ones.

Agu,
If you have a fishing license you can collect a reasonable amount for yourself. I dont know the actual limit. They arent restricted species so an individual fisherman can take some. Commercially you'd need several State licenses, permits and endorsements that are no longer available to anyone. To buy and sell from someone who is currently licensed to legally collect commercially requires its own gammut of State licenses, permits and endorsements.

Back