Coral Beauty disease killing tank

wsoldier

Long story short, my suspicion is that the coral beauty that I bought back in December brought a disease (velvet perhaps) that wiped out all the other fish in my tank (4 total) within about a week. The tank then had the cb in it for about 2 months after and no signs of any symptoms (all I ever saw was heads-scratching against the rocks for the cb and light sensitivity to the fish that were on their way out). After the two months I decided to put in 4 chromis and they all followed the same fate after a week or so.

Here I am now in April, the cb seemingly as healthy as ever but I'm not even certain it is velvet and frankly I don't have room for a QT tank.

So, is anyone able to take the cb and QT/treat it for me (name your price), or if someone wants to buy it I'd sell it (reluctantly... he's very peaceful and fun to watch). I'm just not sure what I can do at this point aside from pulling him out and going fallow since it's clear I can't risk any more fish in there with him.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

Ah sorry to hear.

Gill flukes? Symptoms are scratching and shaking head, exaggerated or labored breathing. Have you done a temp matched, 5 minute, freshwater dip to see if any flukes fall off the CB? Flukes can take fish out pretty quick sometimes without a lot of visual symptoms. With no QT FW dip would be my first suggestion.

Ive been hit by velvet 2x, its a *****. In my experience youd see more than just light sensitivity. Lots of fine dots, like powdered sugar sprinkled on them or sometimes even what looked like shedding skin. When fish are sick/stressed theyll hide for the most part which can look like a light sensitivity.

Curious, what were the 4 fish that died initially?

Chromis are a ***** now days since they always seem to be plagued with uronema. I recently bought 10 chromis. Even with CP + general cure + metroplex/focus/kanaplex treatment in QT i lost 4 to it. So i would not assume you still have velvet in the system because you lost a group of chromis in a week. Atleast not without seeing some other signs.

2-3 months would be a long time for a fish to live with velvet. Maybe a wrasse or dragonette could do it with that thick slime coat but not so sure a coral beauty angelfish would make it.

Thanks for the response. I tried the fresh water dip but didn't see anything come off. That was before I got the chromis.

The light sensitivity was really just a day or two before each of the fish died. To your point ,I never was able to see any spots or fine dots sprinkled on any of the fish.

The original 4 were a pair of juvenile percula clowns, a bi-color blenny, and a flame angel. The only other visible signs I saw were the blenny and flame angel going pretty pale off and on for a a few days before they bit the dust. All 4 died within a week.

Back