Coral Box/Jebao skimmer D500 pump died. Help

Webmanny

Hey team,

The pump on my skimmer just died tonight. I called Fish-Street and to my surprise, they told me they are shipping a replacement set tomorrow. My question is, how long can I run my setup without a skimmer? They say it will take a week to arrive, but I expect the actual to be more like 2 to 3 weeks.

While removing the skimmer, I must have stirred things up quite a bit and my tank now looks white/milky.

I'm planning on doing a water change tomorrow, but would like to get your feedback and see how far I can go without skimmer.

I would like to avoid having to buy a pump just for two weeks.

Unless you're doing some sort of carbon dosing I.e biopellets, vinegar etc I wouldnt worry about it too much. Just keep up with water changes and change your socks. The biological filtration should do its job. Maybe cut back on feedings a bit for now though.

Unless you're doing some sort of carbon dosing I.e biopellets, vinegar etc I wouldnt worry about it too much. Just keep up with water changes and change your socks. The biological filtration should do its job. Maybe cut back on feedings a bit for now though.

Agree, 100 per above. I've had my skimmer offline for a week with no problems. I believe I made one extra WC and changes my socks every day io once of 3 days.

Thank you for your response. I am dosing Vodka, both to the tank and myself. :) should I stop the vodka on the tank until I get the skimmer back up and running or just reduce the amount I am dosing?

I agree with above. But since you are using vodka I would stop. Check PH if very low drop airstone. You might have a CO2 building up from Vodka bacteria. You should be good for a few days along with water changes.

I agree with above. But since you are using vodka I would stop. Check PH if very low drop airstone. You might have a CO2 building up from Vodka bacteria. You should be good for a few days along with water changes.

Awesome. Thank you all for helping me not go crazy and buy a new skimmer of pump.

That's pretty early for the pump to die. Are you still happy with the skimmer? I've been looking at the d700, but my only concern is availability of replacement parts.

I agree. It has only been 6 or 7 months. Now, in their defense, I have never cleaned this pump and I had a slime outbreak that could have clogged it. Also, they have agreed to send me a full new pump at no cost to me.

Having said all that, I am happy with the skimmer and the design. It is very customization and very reliable when it comes to skimmate.

If I could recommend one thing, get the skimmer and buy an extra pump, just in case. I am ordering an extra, in case this happens again, I am not stuck with no skimmer while they get it replaced.

I agree. It has only been 6 or 7 months. Now, in their defense, I have never cleaned this pump and I had a slime outbreak that could have clogged it. Also, they have agreed to send me a full new pump at no cost to me.

Having said all that, I am happy with the skimmer and the design. It is very customization and very reliable when it comes to skimmate.

If I could recommend one thing, get the skimmer and buy an extra pump, just in case. I am ordering an extra, in case this happens again, I am not stuck with no skimmer while they get it replaced.[/QUOTE

I wonder if you could fit a different brand replacement pump in there. The specs for the coral box skimmer are very similar to bubble Magnus curve series. Probably manufactured in the same place... Just a thought :thumbsup:

I did considered that. However, are those controllable? Meaning, can they be turned down for smaller applications?

I did considered that. However, are those controllable? Meaning, can they be turned down for smaller applications?

I don't think the old Curve series are DC. However, I just saw on reef builders, that BM just announced the Curve DC series at reefapalooza.

That is pretty cool. I love these DC pumps. They are dead silent and push a lot of water through them. I hope I can get a decent one for a good price once the Bubble Magnus ones come out. Thanks for the info. That skimmer design from BM looks a lot like the D500 I have. At least that tells me that this is a good design, just a crappy pump. LOL

Update:
Dosing pump (Vodka) is now off
I added an air pump with two stones to the sump
I have been changing the filter sock daily
Water now looks a bit cleaner and corals seem to be doing better

Back