Coral ID please

sirrealism

So a couple weeks ago I picked up a couple corals. This first one I have seen before and think its a common one but I cant find a name. Its chalice, pink with a blue hue and pink eyes. The second one I have seen before also and I think its a chalice also but not sure. Its red and since I have had it the new growth is blueish Thank for any help on names. It doesnt really matter what the names are because I like them but if I can find a name it would help if I frag in the future. Both are about 4" round
I took pics with different lighting and some with a flash to show its colors better but they still dont show well.
and this is the second one

Hmm Ok I guess it could be. I have seen tentacles out in the morning but have not seen it puffy like a scoly. The feeders were in the middle where the ring and slight color change is.it was a bit puffy or filled when feeding. I didnt really look at it a lot when I saw it. i was on my way out the door. I would be thrilled to find it was a scoly

Huh, interesting, though I still think some of the pics of the Scolymia vitiensis look similar. More than likely one or the other is just miscategorized.

Irish tang you very well might be right. I did a quick search and found this.

For years the true identity of Australomussa rowleyensis has often been mistaken with colonies of Scolymia vitiensis. And indeed Veron warns us that colonies of S. vitiensis are more solitary at high latitudes but may develop multiple corallites at low latitudes near the euator which may resemble Australomussa. Normally it takes a very seasoned coral-slinging eyeball to tell apart Australomussa from S. vitiensis but there’s no mistaking these Timor corals for anything other than good card-carrying members of the Australomussa species. Even if Australomussa is distinct from Scolymia and their kin, we have kept this species many times in different types of reef tanks and they do prefer more subdued environment with moderate flow and moderate light. Any reefer who tries to keep this species in conventional high light and flow will soon find themselves with a bleached out and unhappy Australomussa. Like other LPS corals, Australomussa will appreciate regular target feeding of each polyp but don’t expect the same kind of quick feeding response like you get from some ravenous Scolymia specimens.

Read more: http://************.com/2010/06/25/...-timor-indonesia-put-coral-map/#ixzz3QiXNdvcE
I dont think its has the feeding response of the scoly. but hey I am very happy with which ever it is and the price was great. I just want to make sure I am taking proper care of it.

Yea I could never get the response either. I certainly didn't pay scoly prices for the one I got either.

I've got a nice mussa that changes colors quite a bit. Reduced the flow and lighting and it blew up and started adding blue and green, while its reds also became more vivid. It's a weird little coral for sure :)

Back