Coral ID please... :)

astrogazer

Premium Member
I know the first image is of a Yellow Fiji leather, but if you'll look at the extreme right edge you'll see what I'm inquiring about. The second image is a close up. Is this a 'baby' Fiji??? Should I like break out the cigars? :)

742b2d85.jpg

1b00fcc4.jpg

Nope, don't break the cigars just yet, it looks to me as majano anenome, or actually a few of them, not quiet exiting as they could easily become a pest but just as pretty.

It's base is almost chartreuse in color and only about a millimeter or so thick, sprouting about 50 arms each sporting 6 fingers and what appears to be a central 'mouth' and each finger seems to have a bright white tip.

I don't think it is a majano. At that angle and given it's a small coral it's difficult to tell. It could possibly be a montipora or acropora also.

Well I don't know what it is but , you sure do take some good photos. What kind of camera do you use?

Rick

Last edited:
Deane, can you rub your finger on the coral a little and then take a picture? I just want to see what the coral looks like with the polyps closed.

I don't know if these will help or not, I really have a hard time getting a good image of this guy...

I'll try again tomorrow with full tank lighting

Mystery-Coral-II.jpg

Mystery-Coral-III.jpg

Maybe some type of encrusting monti???
I've been watching it grow from almost nothing, to its current size of about 3/8 - 1/2" across.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8077885#post8077885 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by seas3to5
Well I don't know what it is but , you sure do take some good photos. What kind of camera do you use?

Rick

Most of the images here on RC were taken with my Nikon D70, I have recently picked up the newer D200, and all of my macro work is done with a Sigma 105mm Macro, I do quite a bit with Nikon' commander (remote) mode with an SB-800 Flash unit, ususlly I'll mount the strobe on a tripod and hand hold the camera to get just where I want. You can really 'create' some dramatic lighting effects. Oddly enough most fish seem to really like the flash, mine are trained to pose on command, lol.

Back