Coral ID

mjpelikan

Premium Member
Well, I thought this was a pink Birdsnest coral, but I am thinking it may be a Montipora Branched Coral... Thoughts?

108450test-med.JPG

I guess I am going to sound like the newbie I am:
Soft - like a mushroom
Hard - when it goes to sleep it really doesn't shrink much

right?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6951131#post6951131 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mjpelikan
I guess I am going to sound like the newbie I am:
Soft - like a mushroom
Hard - when it goes to sleep it really doesn't shrink much

right?

must resist making hard/soft joke at uncle's expense...

"Soft", like a mushroom, toadstool, leather, etc

"Hard" usually refers to corals with calcified skeletons, like the "SPS" types of corals. And yeah, since they are hard skeletons, all they do is retract their polyps in when they want to and the branches themselves remain the same. Is that what you're looking for explanation-wise?

Read the Renaming our Corals article on the homepage

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-03/cj/index.php

Has some great information into naming corals. Soft Corals generally do not have any hard Skeletons. By hard we really mean hard to the touch. They break and crumble when bent. They do not change sizes during light cycles. The tiny polyps will extend or retract when touched. Soft coarls will tear when bent and are essentially all soft tissue.

The hard corals stay the same size shape just not "fuzzy". Well I take that back, the sps do that. The LPS can change size a little since the polyp's are larger. They kind of shrivel but not the whole thing. That is def. a leather.

After looking at all sorts of different leathers, I would agree it is a leather. but looking at the photo's of the Devil's Hand Leather, I don't think it is one of those.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6944119#post6944119 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Letmegrow
Leather.

Can't tell what species until it develops more.

It's just a frag, you have to wait until it grows up and develops.

Back