coral supplements

DT's imo are not needed however several people do use it. I personally think it just adds extra nutrients to the tank. Unless you have filter feeders that you want to keep, I would stay away from it. I used to feed my zoas and they will eat but who really know if it helps or not.

Ricordia tend to like higher lighting to keep up decent color. they'll do alright with less. but i've noticed a tremendous jump in growth and coloration when i changed lighting. the only thing i'd really add to the water if you arent going to do weekly water changes would be iodide by seachem, it worx like iodine, but a lot less lethal and if you OD with it, its not as terrible as iodine. and it'll help w/ growth and new polyps. DT's is imo only good if you have a heavily stocked coral tank and filter feeds as well as a large refugium. Otherwise like Jay said its just dumping nutrients into the tank.

Feeding fish adds nutrients. Fish poo adds nutrients. Feeding corals adds nutrients. Use a deep sand bed, don't tune and clean your protein skimmer regularly and you'll have lots of problems, not just from adding DT's.

Well I am at 5.2 watts per gallon. I have a 4" DSB now as of tonight (man that was a pain in the *** adding sand). I also have a 6-7" DSB in my refugium now. I also have a maxi 1200 that pushes the water around pretty good. I just wanted to start with some of the easier corals. In a couple weeks I am going to make my first coral purchase. Thanks for all of your advice. BTW What should I be expecting to spend on a piece of coral?

Last edited:
First, before you buy a coral, make sure your nitrates, nitrites, ammonia, and phosphates are at 0. The amount you will spend on a coral truely depends on what you want and your spending limit. Common corals like xenia, some leathers, some button polyps, and some mushrooms can be as low as $5 per frag, sometimes even less. I could help you out with a couple frags that are very hardy and great beginner corals for really cheap. There are also corals, like the infamous PPE's(purple people eater zoanthids) that go for 25-75 per polyp depending on where you get it and how nice the person selling it is and the green polyped sarcophyton(toadstool) that can go for 25-45 per inch frag. Color, size rarity all play a role.

Back