Coralife 6x Turbo Twist Issue-Should I even run UV?

irishmarine

Hey guys

So I have a reef/fish aquarium and been running a Coralife TurboTwist 6x 18w on a 150 gallon display/180 gallon system for almost two years.

I had the aquarium store set it all up and they added the Coralife TurboTwist. I've been using it since then and went to do a well overdue bulb change and noticed water in the bulb area, and as soon as I touched the unit water was leaking also out the side

I called the store and they were like "˜all I've sterilizers leak like this' I was kinda ****ed as they set it up and wrenched if tight when all instructions say hand tighten. I had to then wrench it off and remove from the system. So now I've none.

I spoke to a new aquarium and they were like "˜why even bother with one we don't use one' and their water seemed pretty clear.

So should I replace the o-ring set on this Turbo Twist unit, or get a different brand like a Pentair/Emporer, or just not use one at all?

18w is not really enough power to to anything in terms of UV power unless the dwell time is very high. What kind of flow where you running through it?

IMO it's to small of a unit to have any effect on that large of a system.

And that was EXACTLY my point to the expert when he set it up. At the time I was going with an Emperor 40 or 50 watt. He said don’t because they just do the same and are overpriced for the market. And here we are a year plus later and not getting any support or feedback on it

I think it was more to do with the fact that he doesn’t stock that brand more than anything else

Back